Charvel Model 5 & questions?

sitamoia50

• Members

I just picked up a Charvel Model 5 on that auction site and I gotta say I am extremely Phsyched. The story behind this one is, I walked into a music sore about 1/2 yr back and there was an old red Model 5 hangin' on the wall. It wasn't in very good shape and the frets had quite a bit of wear on them also the Kahler kept screwin up and fallin apart. The weird thing is beside all those troubles etc., I just couldnt keep myself from goin' into the music store over and over and playin it and playin it. The reason being is the neck is probably the the fastest most easily playin' neck I have ever played on. You know the necks where everything you play on it just seems to play so much easier and more accurately than other guitars you play the same licks on. Anyways the guitar disappeared over time but the memories of the guitar (and it's playability) never disappeared from my mind. I just knew I finally had to have one. Bout a week ago one came up on ebay and i ended up payin $365 + shipping. Anybody know if thats a particularly good price on this particular Charvel. It's an '87 and the condition can only be described as "Very close to pristine". The person that owned It treated it like a museum piece. No fretwear,Finish is almost flawless. As a matter of fact there's no pickguard so the guy put a peice of clear plastic so there's not even any pick scratches (gotta love that!).Came with OHSC (also in great shape). Few quick question for people in the know. How close are these to the top of the line Model 6? also , anybody know the different colors that were available on these (mines red but I would love it in Black). I also read somewhere that these are close to the Jackson soloists. Anyone own or have played both.How close are they? Lastly, how are the Model 5's regarded in general? Seems like when I do any searches or look for info I always see Plenty of the Models 1,2,3,4, and 6 but dont see an overabundance on the Model 5's..... Oh Yeah here's a pic, Thanx.......

• Members

I had that exact same guitar. I bought it new in '88 for around $800 and it was worth every penny. I replaced the Jackson trem with a real Floyd and it was perfect. I know what you mean about the necks on these guitars. I don't think anyone ever made a better one.

The Model 6 was the only model above this one. The differences were that the 6 was HSS, had sharkfin inlays and neck binding, and 3 mini toggles instead of the 5 way. Other than that they were identical.

The other guitar player in my old band played a Model 6 and I liked my 5 better. I thought the 2 humbuckers with the 5 way switch sounded better. It's a megaswitch setup so it's very versatile. I never liked the 3 mini toggle setup anyway.

I think you got a helluva deal on an outstanding guitar.

Here's a pic of me and the 5 back in the old hair metal days. :)

pete88.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by pete n.

I had that exact same guitar. I bought it new in '88 for around $800 and it was worth every penny. I replaced the Jackson trem with a real Floyd and it was perfect. I know what you mean about the necks on these guitars. I don't think anyone ever made a better one.

The Model 6 was the only model above this one. The differences were that the 6 was HSS, had sharkfin inlays and neck binding, and 3 mini toggles instead of the 5 way. Other than that they were identical.

The other guitar player in my old band played a Model 6 and I liked my 5 better. I thought the 2 humbuckers with the 5 way switch sounded better. It's a megaswitch setup so it's very versatile. I never liked the 3 mini toggle setup anyway.

I think you got a helluva deal on an outstanding guitar.

Here's a pic of me and the 5 back in the old hair metal days.
:)

pete88.jpg

Hey Pete. Nice guitar and even more importantly....nice hair!!! Boy do i remember them days. You gotta be about the same age as me (42). I looked very similar back when....well, maybe a bit more "punk metal". i was more into the Hanoi Rocks/Guns and Roses school of Metal Back then. Anyways thanks for the info. The Guitars are identical save for the trem and I'll eventually add a real floyd so they will be identical. The necks are extremely hard to beat on these and Ive played em all. The Wizards, The Jacksons, The N4's, You name It. This will be my sittin' in front of the TV/Comp, Shredding Scale Blazer Guitar. Wouldnt Use it for my band tho. There more traditional, Blues/Alternative/punk type band. I have my Hamers for that!!! P.S. Damn $800 back in '88. This thing would probably go about $1500 if it came out today.

Archived