How often do you feel like

Johnstinkpants

• Members

You totally suck ass at guitar and should stop spending all your money on gear that perhaps doesn't reflect your ability?

Sometimes I think I can play "ok" but the other night I played a gig at a place where they have an open jam before the bands. I didn't even join in because these guys were so ridiculously good at improvising interesting music with skill on the spot.

I felt more self-conscious than ever before when we did our set and I played my pentatonic-y solos :cry:

• Members

take at different approach - if you're playing to be a pro and be famous.. well you're off to a bad start with knocking your own ego down.

if you're into playing guitar for a hobby, like myself, then don't worry about it and keep on keepin on. practice makes perfect.

• Members

I feel the same way sometimes - I haven't been in a band since I was 20, and don't plan on it(I'm 39 now), so it's all for my own enjoyment, so it's hard sometimes...

but I'll listen to a clip I might've recorded a year ago, and I can hear the progress I've made, so it's encouraging.

Or I'll just be plinking around, not really doing much of anything, and I'll try to play along with stuff on TV or whatever - the other day I "jammed" along with my Ronnie James Dio concert DVD. :D I can pick up stuff quicker now, whereas I might've never even played that song before... "Stand Up and Shout" was one I picked up just by playing along while the DVD was going. :thu:

Sometimes listening to new music, different from your usual genre, can spark some creativity. :idea:

• Members

I've never considered myself to be a good guitarist, although I do have fun playing. Been in and out of bands for over 20 years now. Although really only started buying more guitars in the last 5. My recent trip into the studio (1st time since 1991) made me realize my collection vastly outweighed my talent pool. Oh well, still having fun :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by K3Fallout

+1.

screw that - I plug in and scare the emo kiddies... I like the looks on their faces when I rip out something like "Angel of Death". :D

I just hate having to re-tune every damn guitar I pick up from Drop-D to E standard. :rolleyes: I swear, too damn lazy to even fret a whole chord...

sorry - had an 'old fart moment' there. :D

• Members

I'm also shy about playing in stores, I keep it turned down. I play with friends a couple times a year, that's fun. There's always something new to learn. Sometimes I take a step back and realize the thing I may be trying to learn is just beyond my abilities or isn't right for me, so I take a step back and try something different.

I've been learning some John Fogerty stuff (CCR) lately. It's really not that hard, and is a lot of fun. You don't have to be a "god" to be good, in other words.

• Members

Put your ego in your pocket, get up on stage, and play rhythm!

Good players appreciate guitarists who can make them shine. Plus, you may paick up a few pointers from the lead axes after the jam.

It is improvised, so if you get thrust into the lead, just lay down some of your best stuff, then let another guitar take over.

• Members

sometimes i get pissed when i cant learn something new like right off the bat...but if i could just play anything by looking at it once..it would take the learning curve out of it and prb wouldnt be any fun...there have been times i thought {censored} ill buy some drums or a bass and take lessons lol

Archived