AMS has dropped the price on Hwy 1 Strats

Koz

• Members

I figured the price drop had to be coming.

Are the updates on the new ones worth it? It depends. The new ones have jumbo frets, a new bridge, and different pickups. Cosmetically they have new colors and a 70's headstock.

On paper I'd rather have the new ones. I haven't played one yet though, so................

• Members

Originally posted by danzigdan

I figured the price drop had to be coming.

Are the updates on the new ones worth it? It depends. The new ones have jumbo frets, a new bridge, and different pickups. Cosmetically they have new colors and a 70's headstock.

On paper I'd rather have the new ones. I haven't played one yet though, so................

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking. I dig the big headstock.

• Members

Originally posted by evlttwin

What is the main difference between the Highway 1 and the regular american strat?

I don't know how the hardware/pups differ (check the Fender site for that), but the main thing on the highway 1s is that the finish is thin satin, not thick poly. If you go into a shop you can spot them pretty easily because the finish looks dull, no glossy.

Personally I think that thin finish works better with some some colors than others. I like the idea of a guitar actually showing some wear and tear - I've had my 89/90 strat for about 15 years and other than a couple of minor nicks the poly is pretty indestructible.

I dig the big headstock on the new H1s as well.

• Members

i grabbed one of the new ones last week- it's a pretty awesome guitar. it's incredible resonant- i think it has a lot to do with the finish, and the three saddle bridge. it's got the "greasebucket" tone circuit in it- which to my understanding rolls of the highs without adding any lows on the tone knob.

mine is three tone sunburst with a maple fingerboard. the bridge pickup seems to be quite thin, and the nut doesn't have the cleanest cuts on it, the pickgaurd screws are interesting. but those are really my only gripes about it- i haven't played one of the old ones, but this one gets a thumbs up.

• Members

I had one of the Highway 1 models for a while, and it was a good player...

The finish is very thin and easy to damage, but that isn't a big deal for a "player guitar".. Played as well as an American Standard/Series which costs $400 more.

Was a little bit too 'thin sounding' for me, but that's just a simple matter of changing out the pickups....

Not a bad guitar at all. :thu:

highwayone.jpg

• Members

I'm tempted to get one, but I've already got my strat quota filled.

I did read on the Fender site that the new H1s will have a reverse wound middle pickup. It didn't seem to go on much more about the new upgrades.

But that would be a simple enough fix by buying on Texas Special middle pup.

Archived