Anyone familiar with the MBOX2? Just got an Apogee Mini-DAC. Need help asap please!

• Members

So I have an API A2D for my A/D that's connected via spdif to my MBOX2, and I just bought an Apogee stereo D/A. I am getting the benefit of the playback with the Apogee through my headphones (when plugged into the Apogee) , but no improvement or change in the way it monitors or plays back through my monitors. I have M-Audio BX8a's. They have an XLR input on both speakers and on my Apogee I have two analog outs right and left. Can anyone shed some light on how I can make use of my great D/A through my monitors and not just through headphones??? Do I need chords like an XLR (input) to 3 prong Left and Right analog outputs? I'm lost with this. Anyone who can point me in the right direction will make my day. Thank you all!

Jimmy Jam from NewlyFormedMindset

All three devices need to share a common word clock source.

You should probably use the A2D as the system's master word clock source, although you can experiment to see if it, or the Apogee, provides the more stable, better sounding clock.

Set the A2D to run on its internal word clock. The S/PDIF out from that goes into your MBox, and you set the word clock source to "S/PDIF" in the Pro Tools preferences. The S/PDIF out from the MBox goes into your Apogee (which model do you have?), and you set the Apogee to either slave to that incoming S/PDIF as its word clock, OR... connect a 75 ohm cable with BNC connectors from the word clock out of the API to the word clock in on the Apogee. As with the first method, make sure you have the clock on the API set to internal, and the clock source for the Apogee set to slave to the incoming word clock jack's signal.

Once you have the clocking situation working properly, it's just a matter of taking the line outputs from the D/A converter and feeding that into your monitor's inputs. If the D/A has TRS outputs, and the speakers have XLR inputs, 1/4" male TRS to XLR male cables are available at any online music store or local Guitar Center. Heck, you might even be able to find everything at your local Radio Shack.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mogami-Gold-Studio-14-to-XLR-Male-Cable?sku=339034&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26023287

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-RG-59-BNCBNC-Cable?sku=330004&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26022306

Not counting the input side of the chain (mic cables, S/PDIF cable from the A2D to the MBox) that's all you'd really need in terms of cables - two of the ones in the first link, and one of the ones in the second link.

I suspect that the A2D will probably give you the best sounding results as the system master clock, but if you want to try it with the Apogee serving as the system's master word clock source, simply connect the BNC cable from the Apogee's word clock out and plug it into the A2D's word clock in. Set the Apogee as the master, the A2D as a word clock slave. The MBox settings will remain the same - it will still get the word clock data via the incoming S/PDIF signal from the A2D, which would now be getting its word clock from the Apogee via the BNC cable.

• Members

Ok a common word clock source. I believe I'm using the A2D as my master clock as I've plugged the API unit in and connected via SPDIF and went into Protools and made it the internal clock. My model is the Apogee Stereo Mini-DAC. Go to PT preferences? And do what? I know I have the SPDIF connections correct, just can't figure out how to get the benefit of the Apogee D/A through my monitors. Phil you are too smart and technical. {censored}, I'm going to school again (went to Musician's Institute 9 years ago for their RIT program. Didn't focus got caught up in thinking I was a star. Now I'm an adult, much wiser and humble. I love helping people in anyway I can. I spend atleast 2-5 hours a day researching the latest Pro Audio piece of gear. Few things excite me more.

K Phil I am going to try and understand your technical wisdom (or am I just still a rookie at this after 14 years)? I am in school here in Michigan taking an engineering/mixing class and a mastering class as well. I'm getting A's very easily but I wanted to see if I could anything. And the state paid for it. Lol sometimes being Bi-Polar 2 helps. lol.

So the model is the Apogee Mini-DAC. My interface is the MBOX 2. I have the SPDIF connections of my A/D (API A2D) and my Apogee Mini-DAC (D/A) setup properly. The sound through the headphones is so amazing compared to before. Do I need chords? Change settings in Protools? Can't wait to get this all situated.:evil:

All three devices need to share a common word clock source.

You should probably use the A2D as the system's master word clock source, although you can experiment to see if it, or the Apogee, provides the more stable, better sounding clock.

Set the A2D to run on its internal word clock. The S/PDIF out from that goes into your MBox, and you set the word clock source to "S/PDIF" in the Pro Tools preferences. The S/PDIF out from the MBox goes into your Apogee (which model do you have?), and you set the Apogee to either slave to that incoming S/PDIF as its word clock, OR... connect a 75 ohm cable with BNC connectors from the word clock out of the API to the word clock in on the Apogee. As with the first method, make sure you have the clock on the API set to internal, and the clock source for the Apogee set to slave to the incoming word clock jack's signal.

Once you have the clocking situation working properly, it's just a matter of taking the line outputs from the D/A converter and feeding that into your monitor's inputs. If the D/A has TRS outputs, and the speakers have XLR inputs, 1/4" male TRS to XLR male cables are available at any online music store or local Guitar Center. Heck, you might even be able to find everything at your local Radio Shack.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mogami-Gold-Studio-14-to-XLR-Male-Cable?sku=339034&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26023287

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Hosa-RG-59-BNCBNC-Cable?sku=330004&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=26022306

Not counting the input side of the chain (mic cables, S/PDIF cable from the A2D to the MBox) that's all you'd really need in terms of cables - two of the ones in the first link, and one of the ones in the second link.

I suspect that the A2D will probably give you the best sounding results as the system master clock, but if you want to try it with the Apogee serving as the system's master word clock source, simply connect the BNC cable from the Apogee's word clock out and plug it into the A2D's word clock in. Set the Apogee as the master, the A2D as a word clock slave. The MBox settings will remain the same - it will still get the word clock data via the incoming S/PDIF signal from the A2D, which would now be getting its word clock from the Apogee via the BNC cable.

OK, forget everything I said about BNC cables - the Mini DAC doesn't have those.

Here's how to connect everything:

S/PDIF cable out from the A2D and into the MBox. S/PDIF out from the MBox and into the Mini DAC. Set the input source knob to "S/PDIF", as shown in the picture below.

minidac_fp_sm.jpg

Use two XLR cables to connect the Mini DAC's line outputs to the XLR inputs on the BX8a's.

You still need to set the MBox to slave to the word clock embedded in the S/PDIF signal. That is done inside the Pro Tools software. You need to set your clock source to external, not internal. Select S/PDIF as your clock source. That way, the MBox will slave to the word clock that is carried (along with the digital audio signals) over the S/PDIF cable, and not to its own internal clock. If you set the Apogee as indicated above, it will get its clock from the S/PDIF cable from the MBox - which will be carrying essentially the same word clock data as what it got from the API. Everything will be "sharing" a common word clock.

Darn - I was hoping you were still having problems. :D I just finished a video for you...

I'll upload it anyway, since I do see questions about word clock and the digital inputs on Digidesign interfaces fairly often. Now if I can just figure out YouTube... :lol:

Seriously - Glad to hear you've got everything working. :cool:

OK, here's the video. I'm still getting the hang of Vegas - this is the very first video I've done, so I know it has rough spots. I didn't use a script, and I should have. I should also use better lighting so the video resolution of the camera will be better, and I'll definitely use an external mic for everything instead of relying on the audio from the camera as much.

Oh well - live and learn. :lol:

Anyway, I hope this explains things a bit and makes it easier for someone out there to set up / use their Digidesign hardware's digital inputs.

Bj2J4SDSpDs

Archived