Wood Glue + Bone Nut=??

LoboR1

• Members

Hey Kids,

Spent the long weekend up here jamming and partying at a friend's place for 3 days! It was awesome...except that during one of the rest periods, a little rug rat got close to my guitar and knocked it off the stand. There was absolutely no visual damage. When I went to change the strings however, the nut fell off. Will regular wood glue create a strong enough bond with the bone, or should i repair it with a type of "crazy glue?"

Cheers!

ps...here is the guitar in question...i like showing off my lp copy...

P1010107.jpg

P1010105.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by walfordr

You shouldn't use strong glue. The strings hold the nut in place and the glue is only there to stop it falling off when you change strings.

If you use stronger glue you'll have a problem if/when you need to replace the nut.

Absolutely!

Do NOT superglue a nut.

The idea is for the nut to be held in place "just enough". The tension of the strings should keep it there. A dot or two of white (elmer's school) glue is usually sufficient.

• Members

Make sure you remove all of the old glue first. Both on the nut and in the nut slot. (Fine file or sandpaper will work).

Then just use a little elmers glue or wood glue. Remember you are much better off to use too litle than too much.

On another note, if you are going to replace the nut, look at Earvana nuts. I have a Valor Custom, that had a nut so bad, I was going to burn it! It was terrible. But I put an Earvana nut on it and the intonation is perfect up and down the fretboard. It is now my everyday guitar.

I've put Earvana nuts on 4 of my guitars so far and I can't say enough good things about them.

OK, rant over. Good luck..............Nice Patriot by the way.

• Members

Thanks to all the replies!! I will use some wood glue and avoid the super. I was just concerned with the "glue to bone" attraction coefficient!

The nut itself is less than 3 months old so I will not be replacing it and my intonation is spot on! Yay! When I first got the guitar, I had tech put the bone nut on and had a pro fret level and crown done. I love this guitar!!! :love: :love: :love: :love:

• Members

{censored}. A lot of my guitars don't have any glue there....The strings hold the nut on the same way they hold the bridge in place on an archtop. If the nut slides around easily I dab a little glue on it. Probably the easiest repair in all of luthery.

But yea...forget the crazy glue.

Archived