"Drop" Ceilings (grids) and Acoustic Treatment

• Members

i just finished the room as a bedroom. So I am looking for a temp solution to reduce the upper high range.

Hang some absorbent stuff a couple inches off the wall and you should be fine. Next time I'm sentenced to that part of the world get a poker game together and a good bottle of Scotch and I'll give you chapter and verse how to fix it.

Hope all is well!! Fun seeing you in ze Fatherland!!

Peace.

• Members

Actually, grid ceilings are awesome for full bandwidth absorption. Even just a "stock" installation of panels and airspace above is pretty impressive. But... lay out some fiberglass batts on top, as thick as you can get away with, without actually filling the void and you're now flat down to 125Hz. All the way cross the drop ceiling.

And yes, using 703 board in place of the tiles is even better. Alton F. Everest has/had some great absorption coefficient charts of common material installations like that. He's got a couple of books that deal with small studio construction, but the one I like the best is called How to Build a Small Budget Recording Studio from Scratch ... With 12 Tested Designs

Great book. Easy to understand but doesn't stop there. He goes deep enough. And the Ab Co charts are priceless.

I just picked up a copy of this book off Amazon, looks like a great find for 10 bucks shipped!

• Members

+2 on tossing some pink panther on top of the tiles. One of the big wigs at work just had his corner office built out next to our cubical (we share a wall) and he likes to blast danzig or watch dvd's during late nights and weekends and you can barely hear a peep, big difference from when he worked across the hall in similar office with no pink panther laid out over the tiles.

• Members

I treated my recording room using the F. Alton book. My drop ceiling tile stats showed it absorbed all the high and low treble and high mids I needed, so I made low mid, high bass and low bass absorbers to hang on the walls. Also made one non parallel wall and as the ceiling is vaulted so less problems there. The only parallel walls are the short ones so I'm putting shelves in the back and gonna fill em up with books; poor man's diffusers! The wood and 703 panels for my absorbers cost around three bills (in the late 90's) and made waaaay more difference than any $300 piece of gear I ever bought!

Oh, my dimensions are only slightly off the perfect room dimensions dating back to the ancient Greeks (1 x 1.6 x 2.6) and it sounds damn good in there if I do say so myself!

Archived