I need more speed for work with music

• Members

Hi everyone,

I need advices about getting more speed for work with music production.

Do I have to increase the Mac speed and/or RAM?

Does a fastest hardrive help? (Internal or external?). (Sometime ago I worked with a 10,000 rpm external HD).

I'll appreciate your help. Thanx in advance.

2.3 GHz dual mac G5

2 GB SDRAM

OSX 10.4.11

Pro Tools LE 7.4/MBox2 Pro

Digital Performer 6

500 GB Lacie external HD

• Members

Processor will run out before anything else. I could run 48 tracks with my single processor Dell with an external hard drive but plug-ins and such would bog it down. With my 8 core Mac I can run about whatever I want, even with the same amount of RAM on both (2 GB). I later upgraded to 6 GB.

Need more/faster processors.

I agree with Majoria. A G5 as a host computer for a "native" program like Pro Tools LE is getting a bit long in the tooth, technology / speed wise. If you need better performance, it might be time for a new Mac. The Intel Core 2 Duo models are all pretty speedy, and will give you a lot more computational "horsepower" than your current dual core G5, and if you can go to a multicore, that's even better... although for many people, a 2.0 GHz or faster Core 2 Duo is probably fast enough for many / most tasks...

I run a HD setup on an older dual core Athlon 64 PC, and I have plenty of power available - but if I didn't have those HD Accel cards in there, I'd probably feel different. On my system, I did notice a significant improvement with the Elastic Audio performance in PT when I upped the RAM from 2GB to 4GB though, and at this point, I'd recommend 4GB for a PT system of any kind - especially if you plan on using lots of virtual instruments, or if you plan on using elastic audio extensively.

• Members

I agree with Majoria. A G5 as a host computer for a "native" program like Pro Tools LE is getting a bit long in the tooth, technology / speed wise. If you need better performance, it might be time for a new Mac. The Intel Core 2 Duo models are all pretty speedy, and will give you a lot more computational "horsepower" than your current dual core G5, and if you can go to a multicore, that's even better... although for many people, a 2.0 GHz or faster Core 2 Duo is probably fast enough for many / most tasks...

I run a HD setup on an older dual core Athlon 64 PC, and I have plenty of power available - but if I didn't have those HD Accel cards in there, I'd probably feel different. On my system, I did notice a significant improvement with the Elastic Audio performance in PT when I upped the RAM from 2GB to 4GB though, and at this point, I'd recommend 4GB for a PT system of any kind - especially if you plan on using lots of virtual instruments, or plan on using elastic audio extensively.

yep, what Phil says all of the current Macs even the Mini and the MacBook now have more cpu power than the last dual G5 Powermacs released.

The top of the line iMac gives a Quad G5 a run for it's money.

Plus with that machine you will be locked out of the upcoming OSX 10.6, that will be Intel only.

:cool:

Archived