Ibanez ARC300

Uze Soap

• Members

I've been waiting to get a new geetar for a while now, and I was very adamant on getting the Epi G400. But recently I've discovered how sweet the ARC300 looks and it's got some awesome reviews.

But I'm still a bit skeptical. I play tons of different styles like funk and surf and blues and ska and reggae and "stoner doom" and polka, but my main riffage these days consists of just rock. I go for a bit of a metal-type tone, but not like Pantera or Slayer. Just crunchy enough to have your balls shift. My music is a lot more melodic and upbeat than most metal.

I play through a Randall RG50TC with little or no effects, and I use the amp's distortion channels.

So, does anyone have any experience with these and would it suit my taste, maybe? It looks so elegant and warm, but it also seems like it could have a good bite. I'd basically just prefer it to be very comfortable, which I heard it very much is, able to handle some good strong power chords, able to sing ringing arpeggios and punchy solos, and able to produce good, smooth chords.

I'm pretty sure this is what I want but I'm curious to what others have experienced with the instrument, so I can know what to expect.

Thanks in advance, fancy pants.

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-ARC300-DVS.html

p37897b.jpg

• Members

Seems like your basic, two humbucker LP type guitar to me. Its got the mahogany/maple magic going. I have zero experience with that guitar, but based on the construction I would say that you would be happy with it if you were considering an SG before.

Only thing is that the SG would have a larger mid-range voice. However, you could definitely use am eq to dial that midrange growl in. I would think that you would get some bonus low end with this guitar that might be missing from an SG.

Just my 0.02$.

• Members

My old guitar teacher has an older AR300. Frankly, it gives me the {censored}s how he gets so many different sounds out of it. He plays anything from Jazz to Metal, and this guitar conquers them all. With your Randall RG50TC, it'll be a good combo. I say, go for it over the epiphone!

• Members

Originally posted by Big_Mac_AUS

I have heard that they can compare well, if not beat epis for versatility. Just off topic, how does the randall sound? Can you get some warm tones from it?

Hey! Your from Australia too! Which bit of Victoria do you hail from???

Yeah, warm galore. Distortion is wicked. Looking into the head myself

• Members

Thanks, dudes, looks like this one is good to go! I really needed that extra push for me to abandon the Epiphone, cause I've been wanted an SG for a while. But this one looks more like my style.

The Randall is nothing but warmth. And the distortion is crazy. I really, really like the clean boost on it, you can get something really close to Hendrix's clean tone. Very sweet amp, best for the price, IMO.

• Members

No {censored} I played one today at Daddys music here in Albany NY I was looking for a cheap recording machine and while wandering off I spotted the rootbeer looking wonder,for a laugh I picked it off the rack plugged into a blues junior and almost pissed my pants!! Nice guitar!!!its got a Gibby vibe like crazy,the necks just right,the balance is right there and God damn!! whatever the pickups are Ibanez finnaly got it right! Will be trading my PRS soapbar SE in on Friday to get this one!

• Members

Originally posted by favata5

No {censored} I played one today at Daddys music here in Albany NY I was looking for a cheap recording machine and while wandering off I spotted the rootbeer looking wonder,for a laugh I picked it off the rack plugged into a blues junior and almost pissed my pants!! Nice guitar!!!its got a Gibby vibe like crazy,the necks just right,the balance is right there and God damn!! whatever the pickups are Ibanez finnaly got it right! Will be trading my PRS soapbar SE in on Friday to get this one!

Oh, {censored}. Cool! I haven't gotten a chance to play one, but thanks for the story! I was waiting for someoone to say this.

• Members

Originally posted by men's pants

My old guitar teacher has an older AR300. Frankly, it gives me the {censored}s how he gets so many different sounds out of it. He plays anything from Jazz to Metal, and this guitar conquers them all. With your Randall RG50TC, it'll be a good combo. I say, go for it over the epiphone!

sorry about the late post, but I tried the newer ones today (LP shape). It's a very comfortable guitar. Expect and Ibanez like neck compared to a traditional Paul neck, slim, and fast. What appealed to me was the sustain on this thing. You could hold a note fairly long, and I think the guitar was set up on 10s. I did not, however like the pickups for higher gain stuff. It's fine for lower gain.

Sorry I couldnt be of more detail, I was amp shopping for myself, and thought of you, so tried both things at once!

Have a good one :thu:

• Members

sorry about the late post, but I tried the newer ones today (LP shape). It's a very comfortable guitar. Expect and Ibanez like neck compared to a traditional Paul neck, slim, and fast. What appealed to me was the sustain on this thing. You could hold a note fairly long, and I think the guitar was set up on 10s. I did not, however like the pickups for higher gain stuff. It's fine for lower gain.

Sorry I couldnt be of more detail, I was amp shopping for myself, and thought of you, so tried both things at once!

Have a good one
:thu:

+1 i was sitting next to the tool when he played it, i loved the neck shape.... maybe i should get one....

• Members

I've got one and I love it. Much more comfortable to play then a Les Paul. A bit lighter, the back edges are nicely rounded and sculpted. The neck is really comfortable. Could be a bit wider, but I'm used to the wide Ibanez necks and this is nothing like a standard RG style neck. The pickups were ok but not great. I swapped them for a JB/Jazz combo. It really excels at classic rock style tones but can still get a bit heavy. I truly think the maple top is a veneer. If not, it isn't much thicker than a 1/4 inch because it doesn't peak from the bottom side of the binding anywhere.

The workmanship is fantastic. The binding and finish are great.

Ultimately, I love this guitar and will probably by an ARC100 at some point as well. Same guitar, just less cosmetics (simply inlays, etc). Oh, the fine tuners in the bridge kick butt.

ibanez-vi.jpg

• Members

Have a good one
:thu:

Thanks for thinkin of me, brotha. And much thanks for the help. It really helps. I'm not too worried about the pups, if I don't like them that much then at least they're swappable. This thing sounds like a go!

Originally posted by mcinku

If you will get one of this, please write a review here, will you?

;)

Absolutely! :thu:

Originally posted by mfergel

I've got one and I love it. Much more comfortable to play then a Les Paul. A bit lighter, the back edges are nicely rounded and sculpted. The neck is really comfortable. Could be a bit wider, but I'm used to the wide Ibanez necks and this is nothing like a standard RG style neck. The pickups were ok but not great. I swapped them for a JB/Jazz combo. It really excels at classic rock style tones but can still get a bit heavy. I truly think the maple top is a veneer. If not, it isn't much thicker than a 1/4 inch because it doesn't peak from the bottom side of the binding anywhere.

The workmanship is fantastic. The binding and finish are great.

Ultimately, I love this guitar and will probably by an ARC100 at some point as well. Same guitar, just less cosmetics (simply inlays, etc). Oh, the fine tuners in the bridge kick butt.

Thank you! It's funny, you're the only one that had any comments on this guitar on this forum when I searched for it. And I think you're the only one that gave it a review, too.

Anyway, I value your opinion and this must be the guitar for me. The pups I can replace if I need to.

Hooray!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

hey i thought rather than starting a new thread on this exact guitar i thought i'd just add to this one, it seems like it's fading away so hopefully i'm not taking it from the OP.

i'm looking at picking one of these up but i have a small budget, so i was wondering what brand of distortion pedals that aren't too expensive would go well with it.

i have a yamaha 10w GA-10 that came in a pack and i was wondering if practicing with this would be ok, or if it wouldn't do the guitar any justice, if not, what would be a good practice amp that would suit it without blowing the budget?

i don't really have a definate budget but i would like to stick to under $400-$600 australian, so that's roughly $300-$450 american i think.

thanks in advance

mav

• Members

Gotta be honest, that amp aint gonna do most guitars justice.

If you're looking for a practice amp that still sounds decent at a budget price, I'd suggest the Line 6 Spider II amps. They are blowing out the prices on those things right now because they will be releasing the Spider III series. Better move fast though because they probably won't be around long.

...plus, that amp will give you a variety of tones/styles to work with. It will be more than suitable for use with the ARC300.

• Members

I was looking at an ARX300 these days, as they have started making it out to the shops. It is very similar to the ARC300 in terms of appearance and wood used. It looked very nice, and I am tempted to buy one. It looks like a double cut gibson. If anyone has one, please post your review.

Archived