Ibanez ARC300

Uze Soap

• Members

One of the UK based guitar magazines (Total Guitar maybe) did a side by side comparison of the two. They were pretty even matched. Made in the same factory, etc. I think you'd be fine with either and it's mostly a matter of which one appeals to you more looks wise. I like them both. Wish they would put the same tailpiece as the ARC300 on the ARX.

• Members

i'm no rockstart so i don't really know about gigs on stage, but i assume you don't use the amp and you just plug into a sound system. so i'm guessing you need a distortion pedal in between the guitar and the system. what would be a good option and a decent cheap option for a pedal?

• Members

Not sure what your asking. If you were playing live, you would mic the speaker on the amp or, in the case of the Line 6 amplifier, you could run from the line output into the mixing board. You would never just run your guitar into a distortion pedal and then run that into a mixing board unless you really didn't care about your sound.

• Members

oh rightio, i thought there was only a line in for guitar, headphone jack, pedal jack and that was it, i didn't realise there was a line out (mono i assume) for sound systems. will the amp still play the sound or is it like a headphone jack situation where it cuts out the speaker and only goes through the headphone jack?

• Members

I'm not certain. I believe the headphone jack also serves as the line out (at least on the 30 watt), which would make it a stereo plug, so you could have a stereo cable end at two mono ends. If it does use the headphone out, it most likely cuts off the speaker then.

Best bet would be to run to a store that carries them to check it out. For your needs, I think it would be a good choice.

• Members

yeah i think i'll have a look around. would the headphone jack (being for headphones) have a really low output though? if so, that probably wouldn't make it useful for that purpose, but yeah i'll definately check it out, thanks for your help.

• Members

Originally posted by mfergel

I don't think it would be so low that the headphones are quiet.

sorry, i meant that the output to a mixer may be low if it comes from the headphone jack, could there even be electrical problems if you tried it? like with working power levels and that sort of thing? i wouldn't want to damage anything.

• Members

ok well that'll save me some money on a distortion pedal. so then if amps can do a bunch of effects and that sort of thing, are effects pedals and boards there because they are better at making the effects? or just because you can get more variety with them? portability? ease of changing sound while playing perhaps? because the good ones aren't exactly cheap.

edit: is this the arc300dvs? http://www.sandiegomag.com/issues/october05/agenda31005.asp

• Members

Seperate effects pedals, etc. usually offer more editing control and the ability to pick and choose your tones. Not all effects are created equal. For example, most anyone would take an ADA flanger pedal over a Digitech flanger any day. Same function but the sounds are worlds apart.

• Members

i went into my local store to check pricing of the arc300dvs and it seems they don't stock it in store, to get one shipped in it costs a 20% deposit, so pretty much if you want to try it out you probably will be wanting to buy it. but i would like to at least see what it sounds like with amps and so forth before committing. they said they'd be happy for me to play similar guitars if would help me make my decision.

is there a bunch of guitars that have a very similar sound/feel that i should be able to play to make an opinion?

i think from memory they had the ibanez arx300, an epi LP 100, some matons which from memory are way out of my budget, some fender LPs i think.

i think it sells for about $850 AU which roughly $600-$650 US. is there possibly a better guitar for less money that would be suitable for santana/hendrix/metallica/blues(in aus)?

i certainly no expert but i read some review that the arc300 dvs was versatile and a reasonably good guitar, which i thought would be a good step up from my yamaha eg112. any advice would be much appreciated.

mav

• Members

thanks, i'll give that one a try, maybe the ar300 as well?

i've read a bunch of reviews and it seems a few people decide to change the pickups on the arc300dvs, how do people become familiar with (what seems to be a huge range of options looking at the pickups review page) these enough to know what they want?

are there brand names that generally have a certain sound or build quality?

how much does it cost to have pickups changed?

how much do "top quality" (though i really don't know what that means with pickups) pickups cost?

• Members

Originally posted by darealmav

thanks, i'll give that one a try, maybe the ar300 as well?

i've read a bunch of reviews and it seems a few people decide to change the pickups on the arc300dvs, how do people become familiar with (what seems to be a huge range of options looking at the pickups review page) these enough to know what they want?

are there brand names that generally have a certain sound or build quality?

how much does it cost to have pickups changed?

how much do "top quality" (though i really don't know what that means with pickups) pickups cost?

Well, you become familiar with what certain pickups sound like over time. It really depends on what type of music you are going to play. I have Seymour Duncans in my ARC300 (JB/'59 combo). It's really good for classic rock/hard rock/pop with that combo. Could probably do metal with it but there are other guitars/pickups better suited for that.

As for cost, good pickups will be anywhere from $65-$100 each. Boutique pickups can cost even more.

As for the cost of installation....I don't know, I've always installed my own, but I'm fairly above average at using a soldering iron. :D

Archived