Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, which to get?

Lloyd Rummell

• Members

I want to get either a Japanese Jaguar or Jazzmaster and plan to keep it 100% stock with no modifications, which one would be more versatile out of the box to play music in the style of Weezer, The Cure, Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I understand that Kurt used humbuckers in his Jaguars but which of these guitars unmodded would come closest to the sounds of the bands I've mentioned.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Lloyd Rummell

I want to get either a Japanese Jaguar or Jazzmaster and plan to keep it 100% stock with no modifications, which one would be more versatile out of the box to play music in the style of Weezer, The Cure, Nirvana and the Smashing Pumpkins.

I understand that Kurt used humbuckers in his Jaguars but which of these guitars unmodded would come closest to the sounds of the bands I've mentioned.
:thu:

Assuming you mean Jazzmaster, I was going to post the exact same question. Mind if I hop aboard?

I am looking for some cool tones and something a little different from my Tele for punk (classic old UK style, not bloody Green Day!), garage rock, Television/TalkingHeadsy twang, Stones-y sort of stuff and the odd soundscape flight-of-fancy.

I hastily tried out a CIJ Jazzy the other week, and instantly got some beautiful clean tones. I especially liked the neck p/u. I understand that it is a bit more Strat-like than the authentic Jazzmaster p/u, but nevertheless it sounded cool. The bridge seemed a touch thin, but I didn't have time to play around with all the settings to see what it could really do.

I also tried out a Jag (literally 5 minutes, as I had a train to catch) and I was less impressed. Not a fair try-out really. I know that I really need to audition several of each for a decent amount of time to get the right info to make the choice.

Incidentally, do any UK folks know why the Candy Apple Red Jazzy is often cheaper than the other colours? Andertons and Pete Cook are both churning them out for around

• Members

I've got 2 Jagmasters and wanted to go with something different, I really like the Jaguar, Jazzmaster shape.

well you said Jagmaster in the title :p

do play one if you haven't before, a 'real' Jazzmaster/Jaguar is very different than the Jagmaster due to the bridge/trem, and you might not like it.

• Members

For my part, I'd be most interested in talking about the sound and versatility of each, rather than another discussion about how crappy the bridge is. How different are they? What settings (p/u's, circuits) sound great for what.There's lots of info about whether to put in a buzzstop or whatever, and I'm prepared to make that decision later.

And - what is that metal claw thing around the bridge p/u of the Jaguar?

• Members
Originally posted by onbongos

well you said Jagmaster in the title
:p

do play one if you haven't before, a 'real' Jazzmaster/Jaguar is very different than the Jagmaster due to the bridge/trem, and you might not like it.

I fixed the title, I'm so used to typing jagmaster.:D

• Members

But which one out of the box would come closest to the sounds of the bands I've mentioned.
:)

If they're just stock, maybe the Jazzmaster. The tone is mellower than the Jag. Some say the Jazzmaster's pickups can sound muddy. The Jag has more trebble and is more piercing.

Although you can't get a Jag to sound like a Jazzmaster, the Jag can probably produce a wider range of tones. It has the additional rhythm circuit and the "strangle switch."

• Members

The Jazzmaster's switching always looked simpler to me - you might not care about that. A big factor I'd have thought was also the scale - weren't they both quite different scale lengths? IIRC, the Jazz was standard Fender 25 1/2", the Jag more Gibsonesque?

I'd have thought that sound wise if you really want the Cobain type sound, you'd be best off looking into the HH variants. One of them has been mentioned already; the late 90s Squier Jagmaster was Fender's first effort at offering this popular mod in a standard format. These were from the high quality MIJ Vista line, and would be well worth looking at if you find one used. They're not paerticularly cheap, though, as they have become rather collectible, but worth looking at nonetheless.

Definitely try out the standard Jag and Jazz 'ers, but don't expect to get a HB sound out of them, IMO. Especially if you don't want to do any mods to them, be really certain the guitars have the sound you want or don't buy....

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

I'd have thought that sound wise if you really want the Cobain type sound, you'd be best off looking into the HH variants. One of them has been mentioned already; the late 90s Squier Jagmaster was Fender's first effort at offering this popular mod in a standard format. These were from the high quality MIJ Vista line, and would be well worth looking at if you find one used. They're not paerticularly cheap, though, as they have become rather collectible, but worth looking at nonetheless.

Definitely try out the standard Jag and Jazz 'ers, but don't expect to get a HB sound out of them, IMO. Especially if you don't want to do any mods to them, be really certain the guitars have the sound you want or don't buy....

I'm thinking that soundwise You're probably right, I do own 2 Jagmasters, one a Vista Series and the other a Jagmaster II, I'm pleased with the sound I get when plugged into my 100 watt Bassman, I should probably look into the Jaguar HH.
Thanks

• Members

I'm thinking that soundwise You're probably right, I do own 2 Jagmasters, one a Vista Series and the other a Jagmaster II, I'm pleased with the sound I get when plugged into my 100 watt Bassman, I should probably look into the Jaguar HH.

Thanks

What will you get from an HH that you don't already have in your Jagmasters?

• Members

You're right, I'll have 3 guitars that look and sound the same.
:confused:

Its up to you. Are you dead set on not modding anything? You can always get a Jag or a Jazz'er and mod the hell out of it. Here's a pic from the jagstang forums.

jag3vo6.jpg

• Members
Originally posted by toothpicvic

Its up to you. Are you dead set on not modding anything? You can always get a Jag or a Jazz'er and mod the hell out of it. Here's a pic from the jagstang forums.

jag3vo6.jpg

Ugh, I can't stand it when jag p/ups are replaced with conventional single coils. It just looks pathetic, lame, unfinished, ass, etc.

• Members

Originally posted by handofthehost

Ugh, I can't stand it when jag p/ups are replaced with conventional single coils. It just looks pathetic, lame, unfinished, ass, etc.

Not my cup of tea either but I guess if you like the Jag style body and scale length but play a different kind of music...

Archived