Fender Jazzmaster or Jaguar, which to get?

Lloyd Rummell

• Members

Originally posted by toothpicvic

Not my cup of tea either but I guess if you like the Jag style body and scale length but play a different kind of music...

Ahh, there are better alternatives: overwound p/ups, underwound p/ups, even routing out for COVERED humbuckers is more acceptable than just slapping some strat sized p/ups in there.

• Members

Originally posted by handofthehost

Ahh, there are better alternatives: overwound p/ups, underwound p/ups, even routing out for COVERED humbuckers is more acceptable than just slapping some strat sized p/ups in there.

Really? You'd rather route the body for full sized HB's than put in the single coil sized HB's?

• Members

I have a CIJ Jazzmaster that I've grown quite attached to in the last few months. It's a really expressive, vibey guitar with it's own unique sound, and yeah, it will drive a Marshall into some heavy rock sounds with no problems.

I did replace the pickups with Duncan 1/4 pounders, but I didn't like them because they destroyed the plinky Jazzmaster signature tone, so I installed some Duncan Vintage Jazzmaster pickups. I really like this guitar. It's incredibly well made, light as a feather, and sounds like a vintage Jazzmaster. I did replace the OEM bridge with a Mustang bridge. Works perfectly. Stays in tune. The trem works better than I thought it would.

jazzone.jpg

• Members

Originally posted by toothpicvic

Really? You'd rather route the body for full sized HB's than put in the single coil sized HB's?

Certainly not on a vintage body, but yeah if you just HAVE to have a humbucker in a Jag, go all the way I say. At least it will look complete. Admittedly it's an aesthetic choice, I just don't like how those strat style p/ups look in a Jag. The gaps make it look lame, and they probably had to route the body anyway to accomodate those things too.

• Members
Originally posted by docjeffrey

I have a CIJ Jazzmaster that I've grown quite attached to in the last few months. It's a really expressive, vibey guitar with it's own unique sound, and yeah, it will drive a Marshall into some heavy rock sounds with no problems.

I did replace the pickups with Duncan 1/4 pounders, but I didn't like them because they destroyed the plinky Jazzmaster signature tone, so I installed some Duncan Vintage Jazzmaster pickups. I really like this guitar. It's incredibly well made, light as a feather, and sounds like a vintage Jazzmaster. I did replace the OEM bridge with a Mustang bridge. Works perfectly. Stays in tune. The trem works better than I thought it would.

jazzone.jpg

Beautiful. Did you replace the pickguard with a mint green one?

• Members
Originally posted by The Tone Snob

If you can deal with the funkyass shape, you might wanna consider one of these, the P-90's would work well for SP fuzz, Weezer crunch etc...
:idea:

:thu:

http://www.rondomusic.net/sjm62.html

I think those are ugly, and I'm kinda lookin for a guitar upgrade...
something better than My Vista Series Jagmaster.:thu:

• Members

I've had 2 Jaguars (Japanese reissues) and a Jazzmaster (Original 1963.)

I like the switching, controls, shorter scale and metal surround for the output jack on the Jaguar. But the sound of Jazzmaster pickups just can't be beat.

Jaguar pickups are way too bright for me and they lack the ability to "grind." On my current Jaguar I have replaced the pickups with Duncan "Vintage for Jazzmaster" pickups. Before doing that fairly drastic mod I tried the different Duncan Jaguar replacement pickups and they all fed back like crazy with my Fuzz/Distortion pedals (even after having Duncan wax pot them for me.) I just couldn't get the Jag pickups to do what I wanted for that "early 90's Alt Rock" sound (I was doing the Dinosaur Jr / Sonic Youth type thing at the time.) The Duncan Jag pickups were nice for Surf (my other musical obsession) but even for surf I prefer Jazzmaster pickups.

If you are going for a guitar that can RAWK without modding (you will need a distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal though) go for the Jazzmaster.

Hope this helps.

TS

Oh, and before you ask (and you probably will some day) Buzzstops ruin the sound of Jazzmasters/Jaguars. They kill the resonance that makes a Jazzmaster a Jazzmaster and make them sound like a Strats... bleh!

• Members

Originally posted by Tool Shedd

I've had 2 Jaguars (Japanese reissues) and a Jazzmaster (Original 1963.)

I like the switching, controls, shorter scale and metal surround for the output jack on the Jaguar. But the sound of Jazzmaster pickups just can't be beat.

Jaguar pickups are way too bright for me and they lack the ability to "grind." On my current Jaguar I have replaced the pickups with Duncan "Vintage for Jazzmaster" pickups. Before doing that fairly drastic mod I tried the different Duncan Jaguar replacement pickups and they all fed back like crazy with my Fuzz/Distortion pedals (even after having Duncan wax pot them for me.) I just couldn't get the Jag pickups to do what I wanted for that "early 90's Alt Rock" sound (I was doing the Dinosaur Jr / Sonic Youth type thing at the time.) The Duncan Jag pickups were nice for Surf (my other musical obsession) but even for surf I prefer Jazzmaster pickups.

If you are going for a guitar that can RAWK without modding (you will need a distortion/fuzz/overdrive pedal though) go for the Jazzmaster.

Hope this helps.

TS

Oh, and before you ask (and you probably will some day) Buzzstops ruin the sound of Jazzmasters/Jaguars. They kill the resonance that makes a Jazzmaster a Jazzmaster and make them sound like a Strats... bleh!

Thanks - great post, and exactly the info I needed. Good call on the buzzstop - other's have told me that. I am not really trying to do the sonic youth thing (although I admire them), and J.Mascis is using more gain than I will be! But these are helpful comments. I am looking for an alternative to my Tele for crisp/bright moderate overdrive punk-pop. I'd like to get some really different tones that stand out. I'm thinking the surf tones will work nicely.

So far I reckon the Jag might be a bit too much like the Tele, so I'm leaning towards a Jazzy. That could be bollocks though!

• Members

Originally posted by Fulham Fallout

Thanks - great post, and exactly the info I needed. Good call on the buzzstop - other's have told me that. I am not really trying to do the sonic youth thing (although I admire them), and J.Mascis is using more gain than I will be! But these are helpful comments. I am looking for an alternative to my Tele for crisp/bright moderate overdrive punk-pop. I'd like to get some really different tones that stand out. I'm thinking the surf tones will work nicely.

So far I reckon the Jag might be a bit too much like the Tele, so I'm leaning towards a Jazzy. That could be bollocks though!

listen to the intro on 'for a king' by eleventh dream day, i'm pretty sure that's a jazzmaster

Archived