A/D D/A octopre le quality. 003R?

• Members

From the listed specification my Focusrite ocotpre le has a A/D of 250 picoseconds jitter and a THD of 0.0008. I imagine this also applies too the D/A so my question really is do i need a higher end D/A as the specs seem fair anyway? Im highly interested in audio fidelity so i was wondering if i would notice the different between these and a apogee mini ? I also have the standard 003R converters which are noisier at 0.007 THD. Im yet to try the octopre for D/A but the A/D sounded brilliant in comparison to my other A/D's. Can anyone shed some more light upon converters and jitter/noise or the octopre LE as a D/A? Many Thanks John

• Members

I don't know the answer to your question. I've never heard the Focusrite OctoPre.

I will just say not to get hung up on specs alone. Ultimately, what matters is how the damn thing sounds since ultimately, no one listening to your music is going to give a flying you-know-what whether your converters have 250 picoseconds of jitter.

• Members

Ive seen alot of people rave about apogee stuff so i was wondering what the real difference is. I know it all relies on the entire signal chain, source signal, monitors, enviroment. Im kinda in over my head and i want too know what the real difference is.

• Members

I don't know the difference. I'm not a real technical sort of person. However, I know what I like, and the Apogee converters sound pretty good to me, especially at the price point the Rosetta 800 is. Yeah, there's better converters. But I'm happy with them. I don't know what to say about how you might go about comparing converters.

Archived