Best string guage for hard rock?

Utero

• Members

Originally posted by Utero

Wouldn't you need different tuners for those guage strings?

Are you being serious?

Also, unless you're downtuning to frequencies normally reserved for bassists and tectonic plates there's no way I'd describe the ZW set as "light".

• Members

Originally posted by Paladin2019

Are you being serious?

Also, unless you're downtuning to frequencies normally reserved for bassists and tectonic plates there's no way I'd describe the ZW set as "light".

I have never really messed around with my strings before. One of my friends would always say you need different tuners for bigger guage strings, so I just went along.

• Members

I have never really messed around with my strings before. One of my friends would always say you need different tuners for bigger guage strings, so I just went along.

Well, he's talking complete BS I'm afraid. Tuners are tuners, regardless of strings used.

What sort of changes are you looking for? What exactly are you unhappy with at the moment? For rock styles you probably don't want to go any higher than what you have now.

• Members

Well, he's talking complete BS I'm afraid. Tuners are tuners, regardless of strings used.

What sort of changes are you looking for? What exactly are you unhappy with at the moment? For rock styles you probably don't want to go any higher than what you have now.

I want more of a bolder, heavier sound. I liked the difference in souns when I went from 9's to 10's so I am thinking about going to 11's or 12's.

• Members

I want more of a bolder, heavier sound. I liked the difference in souns when I went from 9's to 10's so I am thinking about going to 11's or 12's.

The GHS ZW is already a souped up 11's set. Hell, that 70-gauge bottom E is about as heavy as it gets. Even on regular 12's the low E is only about 54.

If you think your rig is too 'light' sounding with the ZW's then the problem is not your strings. Perhaps you should be looking at new pickups, a new overdrive/distortion pedal or something as a simple as tweaking your amp settings.

• Members

The GHS ZW is already a souped up 11's set. Hell, that 70-gauge bottom E is about as heavy as it gets. Even on regular 12's the low E is only about 54.

If you think your rig is too 'light' sounding with the ZW's then the problem is not your strings. Perhaps you should be looking at new pickups, a new overdrive/distortion pedal or something as a simple as tweaking your amp settings.

You may be right. I have the 10 gauge ZW set.

Archived