Should my waveform look like this?

• Members

These are great pieces of feedback... I'm going to try the video buffer thing first as I can see that being the case, I try not run ANYTHING in the when recording, but there is more than likely some background stuff I don't need...

I'll check that tutorial and adjust my system... and go from there....

I run XP on a custom built computer... I never really optimized it for recording, so I'm sure there are places that tell me how to do that... I just have to look around...

if anyone knows of any sites like this, or tricks they've used let me know!

Thanks!

• Members

What I do to check what's running in the background, and to head them off at boot-time, is use a little program called msconfig. The program just comes with XP, you don't have to buy it or install it.

From your bottom-left START button in XP, find the RUN link and click it. That will give you a little box to type in "msconfig". That will bring up the "System Configuration Utility" box. Hit the far right tab "Startup" and it will list all the stuff that loads every time you boot up. Unchecking the boxes will keep that particular program/process from loading up into the background when you boot.

So, which ones to uncheck and which ones to leave checked? That's the big question, to be sure. The best way is to learn what each one is and decide on each program one at a time. The other way is trial and error, which at the worst means that you will shut down something you need at some point and will have to reload msconfig and turn the needed thing back on.

For example, on my own XP machine, msconfig shows three programs that have to do with internet capabilities - one enables my wireless setup, another is the network, another is an internet portal monitor. I don't absolutely need these for music work, so if I need the resources, I can uncheck these and reboot. Of course, when I need the internet, I'll have to go back into msconfig, recheck them, and reboot again.

Personally, I always uncheck the ubiquitous update-manager programs that so many softwares load up when first installed. In my case, it's Quickbooks, PowerDVD, Adobe, Logitech, and others. I also turn off MS Messenger (msmsgs), Steam (the game provider), and others.

Others I always leave - there's a wireless mouse utility, the utilties that support my Emu sound card, my printer, a scanner, etc. I could probably turn some of these off, too, but haven't needed to so far.

You can free up a LOT of system resources with this technique. Especially if you had the computer for a while and have loaded a fair number of new programs that have inserted themselves into the background.

You'll also find your computer will boot more quickly, and probably will run everything faster.

Once you get comfortable with tweaking the Startup, you can move one tab to the left to "Services" and turn off unneeded services. In my case, I turn off Automatic Updates for XP, Themes, Smart Card, NetMeeting Remote, Windows Time (this stupid service automatically changes my computer time at the two seasonal time changes ON THE WRONG DAY), and anything else that looks totally unnecessary.

Remember, usually you can turn these background things off and still run the related programs just fine. All this msconfig tweaking just means you not using up unnecessary system resources just "waiting" for the related program to run.

Anyway - one thing to try, even if it does nothing for your pops and clicks, your XP machine will probably run a lot faster and cleaner.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Shutting off unnessasary services helps in performance. Black Viper has a good site for tweaking those.

I suggest with all of the items mentioned, you do screen shots and either print of save your current configs. Nothing worse than diddeling around in unfamilure treeitory and not having a road map back especially shutting down all the bull{censored} services or startup programs windows loads up on you.

I just set up a new recording PC and I'm still backtracking all my slick tricks to get everything at peak performance. Some work on this new box and some dont. its a different board and processor so finding out what works best is a bit intuitive at times. I may need a different drive though. I'm used to western digital. Its got some other brand in there and I can tell when its writing its not as snappy and smoothe as the others. it was something i had leftover and just threw in there. Drives do get old being rewritten on time after time. This one may be older than I thought it was. i should be able to ghost a new drive without too much troubble. At least I'll know where the weaknesses are.

• Members

There was one other thing about the waveform noone mentioned. it looks like the lower side of the waveform is smaller than the top. This is a sign of DC leakage into the wave.

Perhaps, but not necessarily. Not all sound sources (vocals in particular) produce waveforms that are symmetrical about the x-axis.

-Dan.

• Members

True. He did mention it was a photo cropping issue though.

There are cases where tracks like bass being played with the fingers pulling strings sideways can make the initial half of the wave louder then others making it appear there is a problem when there isnt. If DC offset is suspected, passing the wave through a DC offset plug can reveal if there is an issue. If the wave becomes symetrical afterwards, it may be worth investigating the cause. If theres littel or no change you can simply undo the wave processing. Like I said I usually find this occurs with DC powerd Condencer mics or instruments that have passed through a hardware device of some sort.

Archived