Boss SUPER OverDrive SD-1 vs. DigiTech Bad Monkey Tube Overdrive

burton4snow

• Members

Originally posted by burton4snow

How do these compare?

I have both & the bad monkey is smoother & the SD-1 has more edge or crunch to it. Both are bulit well. I wouldn't say one is better, it's personal preference & depends on what you're going for.

I had a Daddy O many years ago before it was stolen. I'd say I prefer the SD-1 & Bad Monkey, but that's not really fair. It's been a long time & I played it through a solidstate Peavey back then. The singer in my band also has the Daddy O & he's used it occasionally & I didn't really care for his sound. He's not very good with guitar tone though. I mean he's played half of a practice with his guitar tone set to zero. I walk over during break and mess with his amp because it sounds like mud & then realize his guitar tone knob is on zero.

The link has guy comparing the Boss Blues driver to a Bad Monkey. You can hear how the Bad monkey is smoother.

Bad Money & blues Driver

• Members

I can't compare things to the Boss SD-1 but I did have a Boss DS-1 and an Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer that I'm selling as I've went back to using a Danelectro Daddy-O and a Digitech Bad Monkey. I used to have a Daddy-O and always thought it was one of the cleanest sounding distortions (i.e., not much hiss when it's on but you aren't playing). I've found the Bad Monkey to be similar. I use the Monkey for a nice warm overdrive (replaced the TS9) and have cranked the Daddy-O for more distortion (replaced the DS-1). The 3-way tone controls on the Daddy-O let you dial-in some nice sounds if you spend the time to find the "sweet spots" in its range.

• Members

Bad Monkey = smoother OD tone, has both high & low tone controls

SD-1 = brassy-sounding, at least to my ears(I don't consider this a good thing), single tone control, has a 'roughness' to it's OD

I personally prefer the Bad Monkey, without hesitation. (I have 2 of them! )

Daddy-O = a completely different deal, IMHO... it's supposedly a copy of the old black Marshall Guv'nor distortion pedal. Good pedal.

• Members

I am using the following :

Tele > Bad Monkey >Boss BD-2> Boss OS-2 > Marshall.

I'm playing garage/punk/tuneful art-rock. The BM gives me a very nice 'just breaking up' sound, the BD-2 is for full, grunty overdrive with a big bottom end and the OS-2 gives me nice punky snarl. The BM is also used as a boost for the other two pedals for solos, choruses etc. It's REALLY great for that - just adds a little more drive and lots of volume for the extra snarl factor. I love snarl. GRRRR!

• Members

The SD-1's clipping is "asymetrical." I prefer it because this characteristic gives it less of a mid-hump than the Bad Monkey or other Tubescreamer type pedals and it seems smoother, but it does drop alot of bass response. But, it doesn't boost a slightly driven amp as well as those types. Its better either to provide its own gain into a clean amp (think the early U2 barely dirty sound) or boost an already high-gain amp (a pretty standard 80's metal tone).

• Members

At low volume, I like the smooth monkey better, heh. The sd-1 cuts off the bass and is bright on the high end.

But...

Get the master above 2, and the sd-1 destroys the stale monkey.

In my opinion anyway, using both a marshall 2203 and superlead.

• Members

Originally posted by SlayerofShadows

A while back a local shop had a few SD-1s they were blowing out for $40 a pop. Now that I look on eBay ... I wish I would have bought one.

I'm pretty sure you can get one easily for around $50. Being one of Boss's best sellers for the last quarter century, they are as common as dust.

• Members

Originally posted by SlayerofShadows

A while back a local shop had a few SD-1s they were blowing out for $40 a pop. Now that I look on eBay ... I wish I would have bought one.

i got my SD-1 for 20 bucks from a buddy who switched over to the MXR Wylde OD pedal...kinda similar, but much louder thant he SD-1. thats ok...i like the SD-1...i just use it as a slight boost for solos to give me more sustain (dont usually use too much gain in my band...). it works...turn the drive all the way up, gain up just a tad, and tone around 9-10 o'clock and its all good.

i havent tried a Monkey yet, but i want to LOL

Archived