1959 Fender Musicmaster

FUBTAG

• Members

Just looking for some info....

I have a '59 Musicmaster - a 3/4 scale, single p'up, anodized pickguard.. I have pics that I can't seem to locate with all the other relvant info (serial #, dates and stuff) .. Plays well and chipped to crap (don't all Strat's look that way eventually?) .. Can anyone tell me more about it. I have done all the research on it that books and the internet seems they can provide. Anyone else have one? Anyone mod one??? Honestly the guitar was my uncles new and now I have it... I actually learned how to play on it --

A few years back, when the guitar show was in town, had some guy trying to tell me how it wasn't an original .. that there should be no contour to the body (other than the shape) and how it seemed re-painted... BUT he'd offer me $200 for it... hahahaha needless to say... I still have it.

• Members

Get some pics up of that thing, I'll tell you whatever you want to know about it. For now, here ya go:

Anodized pg were used on Duo Sonic/Musicmasters from summer `56 to summer `59.

Only one color was used during this era: Desert Sand (Custom Shop now has it listed as color# 089). From talking with other Duo/MM fans, it appears there were some variations to the color in 1959.

There were no body contours, or string through variations ever - to the best of my knowledge.

1959 should have the transitional (not a V shape) one-piece maple neck, unless it was done early in the year.

The stock pickups are identical to Strats with the exception of pole pieces being level with the top of the bobbin.

I have a bunch of Duo Sonics... my favorite model guitar. :love:

• Members

Originally posted by jrkirkish

Word. you can put together a mid-60's parts o' master on ebay for a few hundred.

I put together a `57 parts Duo Sonic last month for under $500. Just found a bridge cover, so that bumped up the total cost a bit.

Less than five years ago I bought Sept `56 Duo Sonic serial 11676 for $450. Alot of people don't like the super short scale, but it works fine for me!

• Members

I'm betting it's a refin. Looks cool though. The only burst Duos/MMs were Sienna Burst, which is different from two or three color sunburst.

If you want, email me the pics at mark.r.simpson at comcast.net and I'll upload them to my photobucket account for you. Or, just get yourself a photobucket account if you're feeling motivated. Free and easy to use, lots of folks here use it.

As I mentioned - I can give you better info the more pics you provide. Enjoy that guit! Looks like a fun one. Feed that puppy into a tweed Fender amp and watch magic occur. You'll be suprised at how many sounds you can get with that one pickup just by dialing back the vol & tone. And you can always drop a loaded Duo Sonic pickguard to get more sounds out of it - no mods to the body required, all routing is already present. Your MM is probably worth $600 - $900 if everything is original except for the finish.

The early Duo/MM body is *not* identical to the Duo II/MM II/Mustang/Bronco body, btw. The later body has an offset waist. Early pickguard will not fit on later body (unless you want to spend time modifying something that doesn't need to be modded).

Here's a pic of my `57 Parts-Sonic:

1957DuoSonicTheOldDog.jpg

And an old family photo:

Collection-DuoSonics2004Small.jpg

Archived