Does anyone use Windows XP Pro x64 for his/her DAW?

• Members

Thinking of picking up a copy of XP PRO x64 so that I might use a Yamaha i88x interface that I have for recording.

To my knowledge, the i88x will not work with Vista in 64-bit mode or Windows 7 in 64-bit mode, but there are drivers for XP PRO x64. The only alternative is to record in 32-bit mode with this particular interface and I'd rather make the 64-bit jump now as I'm slapping together a recording computer from various parts I've grabbed on ebay.

Lots of steamed Yamaha owners of the i88x and the 01X mixer at a couple of other sites as Yamaha did not develop drivers in 64-bit mode for Vista or Win 7 for these products that are not all that old.

Any comments on your experience with the OS would be helpful.

Many thanks and Have a Great New Year!

• Members

What's the practical difference between "recording in 32 bit mode" and recording in 64 bit mode?

HEY BRO

Primarily the amount of RAM available, but the different CPU instruction set may give some small performance increases.

OP:

I use XP x64 with Reaper and a Firepod. Everything's nice and fast.

Just make sure all your other drivers are in order before you make the jump.

• Members

HEY BRO

Primarily the amount of RAM available, but the different CPU instruction set may give some small performance increases.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I just wanted to raise the issue in case anyone believes that the 64 bit operating system is contributing to resolution or audio fidelity.

Archived