Free VST vocal effects

• Members

any recommendations?

Part 2: For some vocal parts in SOME of the songs we want to sound like Adam Gontier, Kurt Cobain, Matt Shadows...that rough, edgy, but smooth vocal tone...How do we achieve this tone with a little bit of effects? Dont hate on the singers/bands mentioned. thanks

• Members

Since noones vox is the same there are no specific plugs that will produce the same tone as another artist in fact you could walk up in back of those players using the exact same recording setup and sound completely different.

My best suggestion is to pull a track of the artist you're trying to copy into the daw and sing along. Then use whatever pluging you NEED to use to get it as close as possible. Reverbs, EQ, comperssion etc can all be used to get it to match as close as possible. Then save the plugin settings as presets. Then when you open your project use those preset settings to get yourself into the ball park.

You'll find in the end though, you need to mix the vox into the existing composition to get it to blend properly which throws all the presets you made out the window. Unless every instrument is recorded with the same tone as the original, it likely wont blend with just presets on the vocals alone.

• Members

any recommendations?

Part 2: For some vocal parts in SOME of the songs we want to sound like Adam Gontier, Kurt Cobain, Matt Shadows...that rough, edgy, but smooth vocal tone...How do we achieve this tone with a little bit of effects? Dont hate on the singers/bands mentioned. thanks

Why do you want to sound like others? Make some settings you like.

• Members

Cobain worked with different producers and engineers on each album. He has the same voice on each of them. You just have to practice to get your voice like that. I wish there was just a simple plugin that would give me the voice of the rock god. Practice and comping.

• Members

Develop what works best for you. You learn technique and styles from others but when it comes down to it, your voice is your own. I did covers for several decades playing out and I think some of the stuff I tried to do hurt more than helped me. I have a Joe Walsh type tone to my voice which is not the most versitile for doing alot of stuff so I use technique and expression quite heavily.

I been doing mostly original music in the past 10 years and have improved more in that time than I had in the previous 30+. Like I said, Those 30 years surely werent wasted, but not having the limitations of having to sound like someone else really helps you focus on what works for you. When I do covers, I focus on my own versions in a key and range that works best for me. That way I can focus with the minds eye 100%, impart all the energy needed to articulate the lyrics, and not have to fight doing something thats unnatureal taht ultimately tends to make you hold back or screw up.

Archived