Adam subwoofers; Sub7 or Sub8, or ?

• Members

I've had my Adam A7 monitors for 8 months now, and I love thier sound.

However, I got an Alesis Micron and while I've been having a great deal of fun with it, its low end is more than the A7's can handle. My 7506 and 240 headphones deal with it just fine, but I'd like to hear it through speakers.

Does anyone here have any experience with either the Adam Sub7 or the Sub8 subwoofer monitors? Are either going to work for my deep bass, or do I need something bigger/better? Should I stay with Adam subwoofers, or is another brand likely to interface as seamlessly? I'm not trying to blow my ears out, just hear the low end clearly without mud or distortion. The monitoring room (my home "studio") is 9 1/2' x 10 1/2'. (:facepalm: I know, but it's all I've got.)

Thanks in advance for your input.

• Members

I have a pair of A7s with a Sub 8, and I keep them on different connections from my Mackie "Big Knob" so I can turn the sub on and off at will. The A7s have plenty of low end 95% of the time, I'd say. I'll turn the sub on to make sure nothing weird is happening at the low-low end, but most of my mixing takes place with it turned off.

It does sound really good once you take the time to dial it in, though. But my room needs more bass trapping (a LOT) and having the sub on tends to exaggerate the problems.

• Members

I have a pair of A7s with a Sub 8, and I keep them on different connections from my Mackie "Big Knob" so I can turn the sub on and off at will. The A7s have plenty of low end 95% of the time, I'd say. I'll turn the sub on to make sure nothing weird is happening at the low-low end, but most of my mixing takes place with it turned off.

It does sound really good once you take the time to dial it in, though. But my room needs more bass trapping (a LOT) and having the sub on tends to exaggerate the problems.

Thanks for the input, MrJoshua. I would be using it for playing & sound-scuplting (if I may be so pretentious :lol:) more than mixing, I think; My A7's were farting (breaking up, distorting, coughing up a lung etc.) slightly when I was playing deep bass from my Micron through them, and I don't want to damage them. They were a bit of an inve$tment for me.

Thanks again. :)

• 9 years later...

Archived