I picked up 2 chicks

They were blond with big tits

That's what I say man

I'm home right now drinking

doing some peyote

thinking my pet toirtoise

is a really hot chick

WOOOOOOOOOOooooOH!IH!OH!"

That's the best damn song I've ever heard.

• Members

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 9 - I also play bass and drums, so my rhythm chops are very solid.

tasteful Rhythm playing : 9 - whats needed and nothing more

Playing solos (technique) : 7 - I can be sloppy when out of practice, but I play pretty cleanly at speed most of the time

Improvising solos (ideas) : 10 - Where I excel. I could hang with anyone on most nights.

Playing covers "like the record" : 7 - Can do it, but usually don't want to.

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 5 - I know the basics, probably more. Can read but slowly.

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 9 - the best gear requires little tweaking.... But I sound like what I want to sound like.

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 6 - lifetime, 2- recently. I've been in a rut recently, but I'm taking some courses to help me break out of it. My chords and musical structures always rock, but lyrically I need some help.

• Members

Anyone who gives themselves a 10 should post clips.

Shouldn't 10 mean world-class, as good as anyone, at any time?

Think about it. Someone (not naming names ;)) makes a claim, "Improvising solos (ideas) : 10 - Where I excel. I could hang with anyone on most nights."

To me, "anyone" includes Django Reinhardt, Paco de Lucia, Frank Zappa, Joe Pass, and John McLaughlin. Seems like a very steep claim to presume to have improvisational skills approaching any individual one of these, not to mention all of them.

• Members

Boy - you know how to start off the week on a bad note....

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 7.5 - probably what I am best at

tasteful Rhythm playing : 6.5

Playing solos (technique) : 4.5

Improvising solos (ideas) : 3 - I am alot better at planned lyrical solos - my improvision skills at soloing are pretty weak...

Playing covers "like the record" : 7

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 1

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 6.5

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 5.5 - I'm actually better at coming up with small ideas that make songs better rather than entire songs, but I do write a bit...

• Members

Originally posted by jerry_picker

Anyone who gives themselves a 10 should post clips.

Shouldn't 10 mean world-class, as good as anyone, at any time?

Think about it. Someone (not naming names
;)
) makes a claim, "Improvising solos (ideas) : 10 - Where I excel. I could hang with anyone on most nights."

To me, "anyone" includes Django Reinhardt, Paco de Lucia, Frank Zappa, Joe Pass, and John McLaughlin. Seems like a very steep claim to presume to have improvisational skills approaching any individual one of these, not to mention all of them.

I think that, with the exception of "feeling the groove" (which is subjective), that you're right. I will not post a clip of me "feeling the groove".

• Members

Dude if we all factor in all the other guitarists in the world, people should be posting 0.005 and 0.012 and stuff, seriously. I posted a ten for song writing and originality or w/e because compared when you factor in all my other skills, my best one, the 10, is songwriting/originality. See what I mean?

WTF why am I even arguing about something this stupid lol.

• Members

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 6-8 depending on practice

tasteful Rhythm playing : 4-6 I'm really a hack

Playing solos (technique) : 3-7 I can play great - nearly sound recordable one day and blow for a month

Improvising solos (ideas) : 3-5

Playing covers "like the record" : I hate coping right with the tunes. what's the point - I've been in cover bands and unless you're 10, other guitar fans hate you.

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 1-3 working on it with a teammate of mine helping me break out of the metal only mode

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 0 - my tone sucks

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 2.5 I'm dyslexic - I can write rips and phrasings, codas and bridges but don't have the patience to put it all together.

I would enjoy seeing me play live with some of the stuff I do and would think I sucked at some of the other stuff I do. that's really what the question is here - do you think you should be playing live and recording or are you a basement hobbiest

BTW - none of these are bad things to be. It's ok to just enjoy playing by yourself of with a bud somewhere.

• Members

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 6

tasteful Rhythm playing : 7

Playing solos (technique) : 3

Improvising solos (ideas) : 5 (getting better)

Playing covers "like the record" : 8

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 1

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 10+ (my one true talent)

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 6 (but rising quickly)

• Members

Originally posted by pzkpfw

Dude if we all factor in all the other guitarists in the world, people should be posting 0.005 and 0.012 and stuff, seriously. I posted a ten for song writing and originality or w/e because compared when you factor in all my other skills, my best one, the 10, is songwriting/originality. See what I mean?

WTF why am I even arguing about something this stupid lol.

You may be right.

Take everyone's numbers and divide by 10 (or 100)...

There some pros around here who legitimately are 7 or better.

Do you mean your benchmark is your own strongest area? That is the makings for becoming a legend in your own mind. :D

• Members

Originally posted by Jkater

One way I suggest you to do this is copy and paste the following in your post, then enter your numbers :

Keeping time/feeling the groove:

tasteful Rhythm playing :

Playing solos (technique) :

Improvising solos (ideas) :

Playing covers "like the record" :

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts :

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear:

Songwriting skills/ original ideas :

Feels like a MySpace survey. :rolleyes:

1) 9

2) 9

3) 4

4) 3

5) 5

6) 2

7) 8

8) 7

I {censored}ing own on rhythm, but my lead BLOWS ALL ASS. :(

• Members

I'm not going to even give myself anything over a 6 because then I wouldn't be leaving much room for improvement. Considering all the great players out there that aren't even widely known who could play circles around me and most people at this site, I'll keep my ratings modest.

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 4 - If it's my own material, I'm very efficient. I can struggle with non 4/4 grooves unless I practice relentlessly.

tasteful Rhythm playing : 6 - My rhythm playing is one of my strengths. I feel confident holding the rhythm down either on guitar or bass.

Playing solos (technique) : 4 - My technique is okay. I've improved lately but I still can't shred or do anything ultra technical. I'm more of a get the most out of a few notes kind of player.

Improvising solos (ideas) : 3 - I'm definitely in a bit of a rut when it comes to making up leads. I guess I just don't like wanking that much unless I have had some time to think of something tasteful. Improvising is something that I want to improve big time.

Playing covers "like the record" : 5 - I can be pretty convincing if it's rock, punk, ska, funk, older metal, and some blues and folk stuff. I'm pretty lousy when it comes to country, jazz, and classical styles though which require more skill in my opinion. So it really depends.

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 2 - Nope.

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 6 - Since I'm a bit of a gear whore I really enjoy messing with my tone. This is something I actually enjoy doing so it's pretty easy for me to get the sound I'm looking for.

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 6 - I have been writing more in the last couple years than I had in the previous several years. I've also been bringing some of my older riffs and progressions back from the grave and giving them new life. getting a new laptop and interface has helped me tremendously when it comes to following through with ideas. Before, I might come up with something cool and then forget it after a while. Now, I can come back to a project that I've saved and have a fresh go at it.

• Members

People always either under or over estimate their ability. I'd rate myself somwhere between 1 and 10. I can hear a song, figure out the key and improvise my way through after hearing it a couple times. If I want to learn something note for not it can take any where from 5 minutes, anything by the Ramones, to a few days, Led Zep, depending on how difficult it is. The really difficult stuff like SRV, Chet Atkins, and the true masters will always be beyond my ability.

• Members

Originally posted by markas214

The really difficult stuff like SRV, Chet Atkins, and the true masters will always be beyond my ability.

Get good teacher, commit yourself to honest, hard work practicing, and break it down to manageable sized chunks, and you may surprise yourself at what you can accomplish!

Don't sell yourself short.

It may take time, and it may not be easy or automatic, but the rewards are great.

• Members

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 9

tasteful Rhythm playing : 7

Playing solos (technique) : 2

Improvising solos (ideas) : 5

Playing covers "like the record" : 9 (except solos)

Jazzchords vocabulary/ reading charts : 0

Tweaking/dialing a good sound from your gear: 7

Songwriting skills/ original ideas : 2

Yea, I suck :D

• Members

As I read the different replies I realized that the numbers can mean different things but, interestingly, they at least tell in which category the poster deems him/herself better. I'll stay away from 9'S and 10's, so here's mine:

Keeping time/feeling the groove: 7 I also play drums and percussions and I consider myself strong in this area.

tasteful Rhythm playing : 5 In acoustic guitar playing, I certainly would have dared putting an 8 here : 30 years of passionate fingerstyle acoustic playing must have serve me well as far as developping my skills but we are in HCEG and on an electric, I'm still on a learning curve.

Playing solos (technique) : 4 (the reason I'm afraid to post clips in HCEG)

Improvising solos (ideas) : 3 I tend to play licks and rely a bit on clich

Archived