Fender Blues Junior Opinions!

burton4snow

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

according to that Bill Macrone site, a tube swap doesn't make as big a difference as many folks lead you to believe. interesting.

http://home.comcast.net./~machrone/bjr/bjtubes.htm

Conclusions
The preamp distorts differently than the power amp. It mostly makes the waveform asymmetrical, although it is possible to drive the preamp into clipping with more drive from the guitar. These 440Hz waveforms above were normalized to a guitar's volume at about 6 or 7. The volume knob makes large differences in the height of the waveform and the amp's output. I adjusted the scope gain and attenuation continually to keep the waveform on the screen. None of the tubes made a significant difference in the BJr's tone. At the end of the day, it still sounds like a Blues Junior--one tube might be a little richer or warmer, another cooler and crisper. A one-or-two notch adjustment of the tone controls more than makes up for any difference in brightness. The onset of distortion was the only thing that changed. Yes, every tube sounded a little different, but the differences are completely lost in a non-studio or non-practice situation. When you're playing out, no one will ever hear the difference between a new-old stock Telefunken and a new Sovtek.

Different tubes in the phase inverter do not significantly change the amount of volume available from the power tubes, with the exception of the 12AU7. The output section's characteristic distortion is clipping, and the only difference is the level on the master volume at which clipping begins. As with the preamp, different tubes (a mix of Electro Harmonix, NOS JAN Philips, NOS RCA, and Sovtek), made no real difference in tone.

12AT7s are almost indistinguishable from the stock 12AX7s. You can go a notch or so higher in clean volume, but they sound just like the 12AX7s in breakup. The 12AV7s and 12AY7s are much more noticeable in terms of availability of clean headroom, but the 12AY7 is the better choice because its higher internal impedance doesn't dull the tone as much as the 12AV7. All of the tones you get with the lower-gain tubes are available with the 12AX7s too, but over a much narrower range. Where the stock tubes will play clean when you play soft and go into touch-sensitive breakup when you play louder, the lower-gain tubes will stay clean through a much broader range of playing. The lower-gain tube will also give you more control, so you can stay at a fat, edge-of-breakup level more easily.

My favorite combination for clean playing was a 12AY7 in V1 and a 12AT7 in V3. This combo has an extended clean range, but also has some clipping available from the output stage should you need it. Both tubes have somewhat darker tone than the 12AX7s they replace, which gives a very nice jazz tone.

The 12AU7 is so quiet that it's not worth bothering with--unless you want a low-volume practice amp that only plays clean. A BJr with 12AU7s in V1 and V3 is quiet, but still manages a thick warmth when turned up.

• Members

Well, the BJs are a good amp for modding, but after you invest in the mods and a new speaker you might as well have just bought a better amp to begin with. I owned a stock BJ and sold it - not my cup of tea.

I would look at the Peavey Classic 15 or 30 first. Much better stock tones...

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

Well, the BJs are a good amp for modding, but after you invest in the mods and a new speaker you might as well have just bought a better amp to begin with. I owned a stock BJ and sold it - not my cup of tea.

I would look at the Peavey Classic 15

thay make a 15? don't you mean classic 20?

• Members

Originally posted by 23miles

I agree with this 100% In fact, head to head, I thought the Traynor YCV-20 WR was nicer than the Blues Junior, and the Palomino better still. However, I understand from the Fender Forum that there are several mods (i.e. Billm mods) that will really bring the BJ to life. I like the DRRI better than any of these.

I thought about a Traynor actually a while back,it was the 40 watt but the Crate just grabbed me big time over the Junior!For a stock amp without any mods its a fine sounding rig for me..blues,,rockabilly surf..etc

• Members
Originally posted by dwerlin

i did the same thing and bought the Fender
:D

As did I. Not knocking the Crates, just like the Fenders better. I went with an HRD Ltd. Ed. w/ Jensen speaker, but the tweed BJ is also a great amp. I'm not saying it can't be improved with mods, but still a great amp stock.

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

You can buy a tweed Blues Junior for a little over $500 new and it comes with a nice Jensen instead of the lame Emminence. I mailed my amp chassis to Bill and he did the mods personally for 120.00 I'm sure if you did the mods youself it would only cost you 30.00 in parts.

I gotta say it's my favorite amp now. I've played boutique amps that cost 2 grand that I've liked less. He's really researched that particular model amp and worked out the kinks to create in my opinion the perfect 15 watt amp.

• Members

Originally posted by 2deaconblues

You did the mods yourself then? What was your prior electronics experience?

prior electronics experience? fa! i have no experience with electronics or soldering whatsoever so if a n00b like me can do it anyone can. and you don't have to change speakers. once you do the tone stack mod you'll probably leave it in. it's a dramatic improvement. it really sounds like an amp that would cost twice as much as i paid for it.

• Members

I modded my jr. too, new jj tubes, BillM mods done by Bill himself and a vintage 30 speaker. I could have bought a different amp, but it really does sound very good with the mods, and there is just something about getting all that tone out of such a simple and compact set up. So, stock, consider others, if you want to have some fun and get a kind a killer tone box in a light weight / compact set up then mod and enjoy.

• Members

Originally posted by Help!I'maRock!

i didn't think it was worth the money. i got a silverface vibro champ instead for less than what the new BJ cost, and it sounds better too.

I've been using a Blues Jr. for a long time now, but I have to agree with this post 100%. I bought my BJ in late 2000 for $250 bucks new, (made in the US if that means anything, I don't think they're anything wrong with MIM Fender stuff for the most part...) and they're $400 new now. You can get a vibrochamp for that price.

Edit:

The good thing about them is that if you don't like the stock sound, those BillM mods really are stupid easy and cheap as dirt.

• Members

Originally posted by RUExp?

Can it be considered cross posting if it's in the same forum?

Not that I give a hoot, but running total is 2 posts in HCGF, and 1 in HCAF

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1387482&highlight=burton4snow

What more info could you want then this:

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Fender/Blues+Junior/10/1

• Members

Last time Im saying this! Crate Palomino!! If ya want some nice clean with soul and some {censored}in nice classic ballsy crunch with a great look and decent reverb!! Youll find NOTHING better for 399..now,if you have your head up your ass and you listen to bungholes who dont really have a decent ear youd be better off with a modeling amp..etc..Spider,Vox assorted {censored}....etc.

• Members

Originally posted by favata5

Last time Im saying this! Crate Palomino!! If ya want some nice clean with soul and some {censored}in nice classic ballsy crunch with a great look and decent reverb!! Youll find NOTHING better for 399..now,if you have your head up your ass and you listen to bungholes who dont really have a decent ear youd be better off with a modeling amp..etc..Spider,Vox assorted {censored}....etc.

Having taken a quick look inside my Crate V1512, I'd be hesitant to buy another Crate product; tubes TOUCHING other parts of the amp with sockets soldered to the circuit board are the highlights I remember. I also recall that after looking inside it (prior to selling it) I wouldn't leave it plugged in when I was out of the room.

Larry

• Members

Well as far as construction goes alot of amps that are within this price range are built with the pc boardswith tubes together,this doesnt worry me too much,as far as leaving the amp on unattended for a while probably goes without saying no electrical appliance should be left unattended especially if it generates a degree of heat.Larry,you have given me the inpression that you are new to tube amps by stating that you leave them alone and running hot,good way to burn your place down man.honesty Ive owned a bunch of amps in the past not gonna list em,waste of time,The Crate sounds great,looks fantasic and the price was just right,oh yeah....its made in the good ol USA too,,,too bad Fenders arent anymore I used to love them!

• Members

Originally posted by favata5

Well as far as construction goes alot of amps that are within this price range are built with the pc boardswith tubes together,this doesnt worry me too much,as far as leaving the amp on unattended for a while probably goes without saying no electrical appliance should be left unattended especially if it generates a degree of heat.Larry,you have given me the inpression that you are new to tube amps by stating that you leave them alone and running hot,good way to burn your place down man.honesty Ive owned a bunch of amps in the past not gonna list em,waste of time,The Crate sounds great,looks fantasic and the price was just right,oh yeah....its made in the good ol USA too,,,too bad Fenders arent anymore I used to love them!

"New"? Well, I've owned them for 20+ years, and built a few, so I guess I'm 'new' compared to some.

I never said I was afraid to leave it 'on', I said I was afraid to leave it PLUGGED IN. Turned off, but plugged in. The construction of the Crate was suspect enough that I didn't want to leave voltage input to the amp when unattended.

AFA the Crate's construction, the real sticking point for me was the fact that the tubes were touching several other components with their bottles-that was such a gross oversight of design that I became suspect of the rest of the amp's construction. And while many tube amps have their tubes attached to the circuit board, the Crate lacked even the basic reinforcement at that point that most cheaper amps have.

YMMV, of course.

Larry

• Members

Originally posted by guitarcapo

Crates are built better than Blues Juniors. I think the pots have metal shafts instead of plastic...and I
think
the tubes aren't mounted to the PC board directly....Also better sockets.

Maybe some aren't mounted directly to the PC board-mine was, and I know because I checked.

Hard to say it's 'better built' when the tubes are scorching the circuit board, but to each his own.

Larry

Archived