Anyone know where I can find a high quality *coilded* guitar cord?

Eye_Of_The_Liger

• Members

Posted this in the Amp forum, but no answer...

I've got one that's about 2 feet long unstretched, and I love it, because it lets me stand pretty much wherever I want within a 10 foot radius, without worrying about it getting all messy and tangle-y like a 10 - 20 foot long cord would. Makes my home practice rig a lot cleaner.

And I kinda like the old-school vibe. :thu:

Problem is, I'm trying to get rid of some annoying ass hum, and I think it's because of the cord (it's pretty old), but it doesn't seem like anybody sells them anymore, at least not a high-quality one.

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

Have you ever tried another cord with your guitar to make sure it actually is your cord?

By all means do that. There are plenty of other factors, so testing never hurts.

However, new cables never hurt either. Here are some of what you're looking for:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--VOXVCC

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Bullet-Cables-BC25CC-Coiled-Instrument-Cable?sku=330070&src=3SOSWXXA

They're both pricey, so maybe that means they're quality. ;)

If you want to hit google after these, search for "coiled instrument cable" instead of "guitar cord." :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

Have you ever tried another cord with your guitar to make sure it actually is your cord?

Here's my setup:

Guitar ---> VHT Valvulator --> Morley Wah, Boss SD1, Bad Monkey, all connected with George L cables ---> Amp

The only cable in my setup that's not a George L is the coiled one. Theoretically, based on how all my stuff is connected, I should get very little, if any, noise, right?

• Members

Well, I went out and bought one of the Radio Shack coiled cables for ten bucks. Boy, what a mistake that was. The first thing I noticed was the crackling sound coming through the speaker when I'd stretch it, and the crackling sound it continued to make as it returned to its unstretched shape. I hadn't even plugged my guitar in! :D

I guess I got exactly what I paid for. Good thing I didn't toss the receipt. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess I'm getting a Bullet cable come next paycheck or whenever...

Archived