How many people use Monster cables

EdMan63

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was going to type a response, then I remembered I already had one from a very similar thread a few weeks ago. So I pasted it, with some small tweaks to make it more clear:

As someone else has already said, the difference between a dodgy $5 cable and a solid, quality $30 cable is significant.

The difference between a solid, quality $30 cable and a boutique, high end $200 cable is much less, if there is in fact any difference at all.

A couple of things to bear in mind, if you will:

Studio owners and engineers use and have used Belden, Canare, and Mogami cable with Switchcraft and Neutrik connectors for years. None of this is terribly expensive, yet (and this is key) you see it everywhere in the facilities that are responsible for putting out the music we use as our benchmarks for good sound. It's what they CHOOSE to use, not what they're FORCED to use.

This is not to say that there are no differences between cables. But when it comes to how far to go up the expensive cable ladder, the pros (both musicians and recording personnel) who define what we see as good sound have already spoken on this issue by what they use and, just as importantly, what they don't use.

As far as all this relates to electric guitar, consider this. The electric guitar is a very limited range instrument because of how we choose to amplify it. Most guitar speakers are only capable of putting out sound from around 50 hz (and not much that low) to the upper midrange around 6-7 khz (aside from some hiss and noise). And even if you use a setup or speakers that is capable of more range, the standard for good guitar sound has already been defined by amps and speakers with those limitations.

So even if it can be argued that higher end cables have more clarity, tighter bass and cleaner highs (or whatever other sonic properties), if you really think that those amazing capabilities make a whole heck of a lot of difference in the lo-fi world of electric guitar you are looking for better tone in the wrong place. It's not even commonly accepted whether it even makes a usable difference in studio work (where those remarkable capabilities would really be useful).

Sonically speaking, putting a $200 space age cable between a guitar and amp is like using a Ferrari to carry your groceries from the Kwik-E-Mart to your basement apartment at your mom's house. Electric guitar is not an instrument that demands the ultra-super-highest quality signal path. Any solidly made good quality cable will have specs that are WAY beyond what is needed to carry a guitar signal faithfully.

And even if a really expensive cable will get some amazing highs and lows to your amp, they will still be chopped off the top and bottom of the sound the instant the speakers touch it.

As far as Monster cables go, studio owners and engineers laugh at them and at the people who buy them. Personally, I don't like them and won't buy them. They have some despicable business practices, they make claims for their cables that are pure pseudo-scientific babble and are not backed by any science or tests, and they deliberately make their plugs slightly oversized to create the impression of sturdiness when what's really happening is that they're stretching and prematurely wearing your jacks. But the warranty is attractive, I agree, and if you're the kind of person who finds themselves in situations that destroy cables a lot then I can understand the appeal and would probably do the same thing. But I'm a studio rat, and as it is I like to make my own cables out of the same components the big guys use, knowing they won't be a weak point in my system. Belden, Canare, Switchcraft, Neutrik, that's what connects everything to everything else in my studio. I know they'll work, I know they'll last, I know they're quality, and I can fix them myself if something goes wrong.

All this being said, buy what you like with your money, no one will stop you. In the world of guitar, if it sounds good it IS good, whether the difference is real or in your head. But don't think for a second that a super expensive cable will be the key to perfect sound that you've been missing or that it's some well kept secret of the pros, because it's not.

• Members
Originally posted by Mind Riot

I was going to type a response, then I remembered I already had one from a very similar thread a few weeks ago. So I pasted it, with some small tweaks to make it more clear:

As someone else has already said, the difference between a dodgy $5 cable and a solid, quality $30 cable is significant.

The difference between a solid, quality $30 cable and a boutique, high end $200 cable is much less, if there is in fact any difference at all.

A couple of things to bear in mind, if you will:

Studio owners and engineers use and have used Belden, Canare, and Mogami cable with Switchcraft and Neutrik connectors for years. None of this is terribly expensive, yet (and this is key) you see it everywhere
in the facilities that are responsible for putting out the music we use as our benchmarks for good sound.
It's what they CHOOSE to use, not what they're FORCED to use.

This is not to say that there are no differences between cables. But when it comes to how far to go up the expensive cable ladder, the pros (both musicians and recording personnel) who define what we see as good sound have already spoken on this issue by what they use and, just as importantly, what they
don't
use.

As far as all this relates to electric guitar, consider this. The electric guitar is a very limited range instrument because of how we choose to amplify it. Most guitar speakers are only capable of putting out sound from around 50 hz (and not much that low) to the upper midrange around 6-7 khz (aside from some hiss and noise). And even if you use a setup or speakers that is capable of more range, the standard for good guitar sound has already been defined by amps and speakers with those limitations.

So even if it can be argued that higher end cables have more clarity, tighter bass and cleaner highs (or whatever other sonic properties), if you really think that those amazing capabilities make a whole heck of a lot of difference in the lo-fi world of electric guitar you are looking for better tone in the wrong place. It's not even commonly accepted whether it even makes a usable difference in studio work (where those remarkable capabilities would really be useful).

Sonically speaking, putting a $200 space age cable between a guitar and amp is like using a Ferrari to carry your groceries from the Kwik-E-Mart to your basement apartment at your mom's house. Electric guitar is not an instrument that demands the ultra-super-highest quality signal path. Any solidly made good quality cable will have specs that are WAY beyond what is needed to carry a guitar signal faithfully.

And even
if
a really expensive cable will get some amazing highs and lows to your amp, they will still be chopped off the top and bottom of the sound the instant the speakers touch it.

As far as Monster cables go, studio owners and engineers laugh at them and at the people who buy them. Personally, I don't like them and won't buy them. They have some despicable business practices, they make claims for their cables that are pure pseudo-scientific babble and are not backed by any science or tests, and they deliberately make their plugs slightly oversized to create the impression of sturdiness when what's really happening is that they're stretching and prematurely wearing your jacks. But the warranty is attractive, I agree, and if you're the kind of person who finds themselves in situations that destroy cables a lot then I can understand the appeal and would probably do the same thing. But I'm a studio rat, and as it is I like to make my own cables out of the same components the big guys use, knowing they won't be a weak point in my system. Belden, Canare, Switchcraft, Neutrik, that's what connects everything to everything else in my studio. I know they'll work, I know they'll last, I know they're quality, and I can fix them myself if something goes wrong.

All this being said, buy what you like with your money, no one will stop you. In the world of guitar, if it sounds good it IS good, whether the difference is real or in your head. But don't think for a second that a super expensive cable will be the key to perfect sound that you've been missing or that it's some well kept secret of the pros, because it's not.

:thu: :thu:

-K

• Members
Originally posted by LavaMan

What? Several folks are trying to bring this thread back around...did that serve any useful purpose in this context? - NO

You post makes no sense and has no place...and simply shows your inablity to contrubite in a meaningful way to this thread...

1. Like I said before, Monster Cable is mass produced stranded copper coax that is made in runs exceeding 500,000 -1,000,000 feet in China. It is then assembled there.

2. The most common cited reason for buying a Monster Cable is for the lifetime warranty - not the tonal qualities. And because it is readily available at just about any music store.

3. Monster cable currently has a 30% failure rate - this why GC picked up the Mogami line (This failure rate is demonstrated by numerous posters on this thread who have stated they have returned thier Monster Cables - usually several times.)

4. Mass produced copper stranded coax has been the standard for years and what our ears are accustomed to. Early rock recordings were made with this cable because this was what was available. IMO many of these guitarists would have used better cable if it was avialable to them - Many famous guiatrists today are using high end cable such as David Gilmour, Larry Carlton, and many, many others.

5. In the last 15-20 years significant advances have been made in audio/guitar cable design, primarily throught the use of more pure metals, alloys, solid vs. stranded conductors and overall better construction - these cables do sound better and it is due to the way they are made.

6. It makes sense to me, that if the quality of you guitar, pickups, pedals and amps are important to you then the quality of your cables should be important also.

7. High end cables cost more because:

a. They are made in shorter production runs

b. Use more metal that typical stranded coax and the process to make that metal - such as an alloy is more expensive

c. There are more raw materials in them

d. The price of copper and silver have risen dramatically in the last year - close to 200%! A Penny and a Nickel now cost more to make than they are worth!

Bottom line: A good cable can have a significant impact on the quality of your tone and there are many better alternatives to Monster cable out there.

once again, so much for getting right to the point there professor :rolleyes:

and please site your MonsterCable statistics

• Members
Originally posted by No Soul

once again, so much for getting right to the point there professor
:rolleyes:

and please site your MonsterCable statistics

They are from a reliable source. This thread, as previously mentioned has worn out it's usefullness.

"How Many People use Use Monster Cables?"

I don't, because they are mass prodcuced crap built on marketing hype and I make my own from brands of cable that are far superior.

End of rant.:)

• Members

They are from a reliable source. This thread, as previously mentioned has worn out it's usefullness.

"How Many People use Use Monster Cables?"

I don't, because they are mass prodcuced crap built on marketing hype and I make my own from brands of cable that are far superior.

End of rant.
:)

oh please, "a reliable source" my ass.
Im really starting to wonder about your credibility, when you bring up a hard numbers (30 percent in this case) and cant back it up.

• Members

I have one of the 12ft "rock" cables. The original one lasted maybe 8 yrs before it crapped out, and a 2 min. phone call to the company was all it took to get it replaced. It cost me about $3 to ship the old one back.

I think it sounds fine. I use it from my pedalboard to my amp. I like a more flexible cable from guitar to pedalboard.

I can't really say if they're overpriced or overhyped. I think it sounds fine, but I don't notice a huge difference between it and other cables. Their customer service was good, though.

• Members

oh please, "a reliable source" my ass.

Im really starting to wonder about your credibility, when you bring up a hard numbers (30 percent in this case) and cant back it up.

Trust me I would not put it up there like that if that number was not qouted to me by a reliable source. Why don't you just call GC ask them what the failure rate is?

Or better yet, why don't you start a thread with a poll asking how many folks have returned their Monster cable 1, 2, or 3 or more times. You could even use this thread as a starting point as there are numerous posts, one even I think where the person returned about 6 times....

• Members

I use Monster Rock because I actually liked the way it made the midrange come alive (replaced ProCo). Also like Mogami Gold (different sound to my ear)

Got a friend who used to work for an aircraft company and was alowed to take home bout 75' of "scrap" wire which he used to have hooked up to his stereo. He offered to pass it along to me as I tend to tinker with stuff. The thing about this cable is that it is pure silver. . . ("scrap" indeed. . .).

Don't know the guage of the wire yet, but I might try making a guitar cable out of some of it, or even completely rewiring a guitar just to see what I come up with.

Brett

• Members

I know a lot of people here seem to like George L's cables. Has anyone here tried Bill Lawrence's cables? They are the same design, but cheaper. I believe for $50 you get 50 ft of cable and 5 pairs of connectors. Pretty good deal.

I haven't used either, but I do have a couple cables that use the exact same design. They're 25 years old and still the most reliable cables I have.

I've been looking around to see if anyone has tried the BL's

• Members

Trust me I would not put it up there like that if that number was not qouted to me by a reliable source. Why don't you just call GC ask them what the failure rate is?

Or better yet, why don't you start a thread with a poll asking how many folks have returned their Monster cable 1, 2, or 3 or more times. You could even use this thread as a starting point as there are numerous posts, one even I think where the person returned about 6 times....

I dont need to, I work for guitar center.

I own a {censored} ton of monster cables, and if you read anything Ive said in this thread, I hate the things.

However, you are using a very specific number, and for somebody who claims to have so much expertise in the field, I would think you would be a little more careful than throwing arround bull{censored} statistics.

I have no doubt the number is high, but dont offer us something you made up.

• Members

I own a {censored} ton of monster cables, and if you read anything Ive said in this thread, I hate the things.

However, you are using a very specific number, and for somebody who claims to have so much expertise in the field, I would think you would be a little more careful than throwing arround bull{censored} statistics.

Look - I did not make it up. It was quoted to me by someone who sells to GC, and in fact it was upper management at GC who told this to them and they were basically complaining about it.

• Members

Look - I did not make it up. It was quoted to me by someone who sells to GC, and in fact it was upper management at GC who told this to them and they were basically complaining about it.

yeah, thanks for the hear-say buddy

• Members

yeah, thanks for the hear-say buddy

Look - you just don't get it. There's more to the conversation than that, and I trust my source so, since you work there ask them! In fact this will settle it, and don't jsut ask the local manager...

• Members

So as an insider at GC what's the real number then? You can't very well accuse someone of stating wrong statistics if you can't offer up the correct statistics. If it's not 30% what is it? 28%? 25%? What?

• Members

Originally posted by Treborklow

So as an insider at GC what's the real number then? You can't very well accuse someone of stating wrong statistics if you can't offer up the correct statistics. If it's not 30% what is it? 28%? 25%? What?

Im not in operations so I dont have access to that information, regardless of that.

His information, EVEN if correct, only represents 1 store.

Hardly enough information to make his claim valid.

The point being you are making hard mathematical and scietific statements, using nothing but hear-say, then Im going to call bull{censored} on you.

30% is 30%

• Members

Im not in operations so I dont have access to that information, regardless of that.

The point being you are making hard mathematical and scietific statements, using nothing but hear-say, then Im going to call bull{censored} on you.

30% is 30%

My source spoke with the person (buyer) for all GC stores - that's right the buyer for ALL GC stores.....not one store and the statistic is for just that - ALL STORES....I do not know why you even make the assumption that it is just for one store!

Let me help you here, I buy bulk cable from about 10 different sources. I have conversations almost daily with senior folks (often the owners) from these companies who are about 10 levels above your pay grade some of which sell to GC also (THAT'S ALL STORES NOT JUST ONE), so before you go spouting off attacking what I say as bull{censored}, I suggest you back it up with some facts instead of "I don't work in operations"

• Members

30% is 30%

I don't particularly care if their failure rate is 30% or 10% or 2%. But with all due respect, in this argument hear-say is a lot better than no-say and you have offered absolutely nothing to prove your statements or disproved his, just a lot of wind.

Regardless, you both seem to dislike Monster cables so I don't even know why an argument is even happening over their failure rate. Just drop it. Maybe this thread should just die. Let's start a new one on cheap strings versus expensive ones! Or maybe guitar straps this time.

• Members

30% is 30%

Yeah, unfortunately calling bull{censored} on Lavaman is about as productive as swatting flys. He is nothing BUT bull{censored}, so getting it called on him is no big deal.

Every time I see one of these guitar cord threads I know its comming. He usually waits 2 or 3 pages, starts with some innocuous contribution to the thread, then graduates with "the cables we sell ..." and quickly progresses to his sales pitch, closely followed by objectors, who then get labeled ... and you know the rest of it. And of course, HE knows all these important people who have clued him in to these important facts that he quotes, but won't back up ... and you know the rest of it.

It would be great if this thread just died so we didn't have to hear from him for a couple more weeks.

• Members

Originally posted by walt0915

+

It would be great if this thread just died so we didn't have to hear from him for a couple more weeks.

Wouldn't that be great! Oh, and your contributions to this thread were so much more valuable than mine...

You come off just as arrogant as me, when you are nor more in a porition of authority than anyone else to back up anything you you say or contribute. You just enjoy attacking me becasue you wnat to label everything I say as SPAM or shilling my products. It seems you narrowmindendess has prevented you from reading what I have posted as OT posts, nothing more. I enjoy a good debate just like anyone else. And, I think making more than 7,500 cables in the last two years and doing my own world-wide research on the subject provides me with sufficient background to speak with some authority on this subject - clearly more than you.

Archived