Is the i5 better than the dual 2 core processor for recording?

• Members

I want a Macbook pro for recording. Who doesn't want the latest and greatest tech out there. But money is tight and Im trying to decide if I want to spend the extra cash on the macbook pro 15" that has the i5 processer. Though the 13" would save me some money and it has a dual 2 core. As far as recording goes, because this computer will be solely for that purpose are they that much different. I have read the dual 2 core will be outdated in some time. Screen size isn't far off, same 4 GB memory, and same drive space. Plus I could use the money I save on the 13" maybe to get up to 8 GB. Or will the i5 make all the difference here are the specs.

13-inch: 2.66GHz

Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB Memory

320GB hard drive1

SD card slot

Built-in battery (10 hours)

NVIDIA GeForce 320M graphics

$1,499.00

15-inch: 2.4GHz

Intel Core i5

4GB Memory

320GB hard drive1

SD card slot

Built-in battery (8-9 hour)

Intel HD Graphics

NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256MB

$1,799.00

any advice?

I'd get the i5.

First of all, always get as much CPU as you can afford - especially in a laptop, where CPU swaps are difficult, if not for all intents and purposes, impossible.

Second, the Core 2 Duo, while a capable machine, is "last year's CPU technology" - actually, older than that, but hopefully, you get the idea. The i5 represents the current generation processor technology, and will stay current longer.

Finally, while you may not think an extra 2" of screen size will make much of a difference, with DAW software, it can make a BIG difference, and in day to day use, you'll really appreciate the extra screen real estate.

If you can at all afford it, I'd recommend you get the newer model. :wave:

Archived