Some questions about American Deluxe Stratocaster

MikEdge

• Members

Hello, I'm considering buying this guitar and need some feedback on what it can do. There are especially two things I would love to know:

1) Do the Samarium pickups and S1 switching work for metal as well? Is it possible to get good metal tones from this guitar (palm-muting riffs etc.). I would love to have an instrument as versatile as possible and I wonder if this is it. Or do you think I should go for some superstrat instead (like FRamus Diablo guitars)?

2) I would like to learn more about Fender Deluxe tremolo found on this guitar. Does it stay in tune? Is it possible to play unisono bends while staying in tune (as with Wilkinson units) or does the guitar get detuned when a string is being bent?

If you have any other comment concerning this particular model, please help me to learn more... Thank you so much!

• Members

106_0698.jpg

This is my 2005 American Deluxe. What I can tell you is that is a very nice guitar. The craftsmanship is top notch and the neck plays like a dream. The S-1 switching adds some nice versatility to the guitar however it does not necessarily offer humbucker tones. Just nice distinct Strat tones. I don't know if I would choose a Strat to play metal however with some experimentation and good effects I think you could pull some stuff off. Bottomline is Strats are extremely versatile guitars that can play a wide range of music. I really don't think you could go wrong.

I'm not a big trem user. However the trem is pretty good. I don't rip on it but if you do it will exhibit some tuning problems. Many guys use some good graphite lube and it seems to work fine.

• Members

If the guitar is swimming pool routed, you could use it as a metal axe simply by buying a humubkcer and installing a new pickguard on it that fits a humbucker on in the bridge.

I have a strat plus that i am going to do this to.

Strats with humbuckers make great metal guitars because they are naturally very bright.

• Members

This is the darkest sounding Fender Strat that I have, American Deluxe HSS FMT and gives a more metal sound than my other American Strats and Vintage type Strats. The Deluxe trem seems to stay in tune better than my other strats but not as well as a Floyd trem would, but it is much easier to string.

Am_Deluxe_strat_FMT.jpg

• Members

IMG_5128.jpg

I own 2 American strat's with the humbucker. About as heavy as I play is some old Sabbath and some Ozzy. These guitars are great for that.

Now the tremolo. I have the American deluxe hss lsr with locking trem. LSR being the roller bearing at the nut. It helps to keep it in tune, but it not a Floyd rose. It will go out of tune with you, but if it is setup nice it is minimal/

• Members

I have 2 Deluxe SSS strats and I really like them, but I have no interest in metal, so I'm not sure on that question, but the S-1 switching does allow for the thicker series connections of pickups instead of the traditional series (hope I didn't get that backwards), and that yields a much thicker tone than your standard strat. But the tone is still "Fenderish".

Look at the Fender site for the various combinations and permutations of the S-1 wiring selections.

But I'd think you'd be able to get there with effects, but they are not the prototypical metal machine.

Guitar trader has NJ BC Rich Eagles on sale for $499 if you're looking for a no-brainer metal machine.

Archived