Do new PU's in a 335 make THAT much of a difference?

apostrophe

• Members

The bridge PU died in my Epi Dot. Since I need to take it in for a set-up anyway, I figured now is a better time than ever.

I am afraid though, that they will tell me it will cost more than the stock PU is worth to fix it (depending on what's wrong with it).

So if it came down to it, would throwing in some Seth Lover's or 57 Classics make a noticable difference? Or is it a more subtle change? Frankly I really liked the stock PU's and the neck currently sounds great. Not amazing, but great.

My style is Jazz and Blues....

• Members

Originally posted by vintage clubber

are you sure the pickup died or do you have a bad switch?

I have no idea what's wrong. All I know is the Bridge has no sound. Well, it has a very, very, very small sound. You can just barely hear it.

Oddly enough you when you put the switch on the middle selection you can hear the Bridge again in the Neck. It's not as apparent as it should be, but you can certainly hear it in there.

• Members

Originally posted by apostrophe

So if it came down to it, would throwing in some Seth Lover's or 57 Classics make a noticable difference? Or is it a more subtle change?

Those would both be great choices.

You could also go with HB sized P-90 or get some Gretsch TV Jones style pups.

But your first choice up there is probably the best all around choice. There's also the Seymour Duncan Antiquity HBs if you want to make it even a hair better.

• Members

As long as the Laws of physics are in operation, there really isn't that much that can go wrong with a pickup. Those Epi switches are notoriously bad, and in my experience Epi uses poor quality wiring. The wires in my Epis were so thin that they would break if any of the components (Pots, jacks) twisted at all. Sometimes you can "fix" the three way switch by bending the plates back into shape so that they make contact. If you are going to gig with that Epi, I'd suggest changing the switch as a matter of course. I would definitely agree with those that suggest you check the switch and connections.

• Members

Originally posted by pink freud

sounds like a disconnected wire...

+1

Pups don't usually die. They're simple technology, some magnets with thin copper wire wrapped around them. Most likely a disconnected lead wire. Easy fix with a little solder.

BTW, I would definitely throw in somce Seth Lover's or a Classic 57. They will be much better than the stock Epi pups, but if you like your tone the way it is, no need to change 'em.

• Members

Hmmm......man I wish I knew how to solder! My father knows how but he doesn't have a soldering iron anymore.

The only guy we know with one is my 80 year old grandpa! Haha!

The fact that this is a semi-hollow really makes me want to just go to a pro and pay the price, rather than face the headache of trying to re-wire anything.

• Members

I had one die once. A middle pup in a fairly new set of Texas Specials.

To some degree I was lucky I had bought them and had them installed at a local store. So I got the replacement done for free (warranty). But the down side was they first blamed my 5-way switch and I paid for that job which was unecessary. But mine did act strange cuz it was an intermittent dead and not dead situation. But it had to be a break in the pup wiring. New pup, and then problem was gone.

• Members

Yeah, sounds like a dodgy wire to me. On the pickup topic, if it were me, i'd throw in a humbucker sized filtertron, probably from TV Jones, for that Gretsch sound. I love a humbucker in the neck position, all smooth and creamy, but in the bridge I like a bit more twang and bite, like Malcolm Young, so in a 335 a bridge Filtertron would be perfect.

Archived