upgrading my home DAW - advice for next step ...

• Members

I dont believe im recording too hot... but certainly i was overloading the mix buss by quite a bit!

here is the raw mix of a track i'm working on recently.. as a result of addressing the gain staging, I am hearing much improved fidelity and spacial separation. i'm happier with this mix, but i'm sure there's room for improvement. let me know what you all think!

this track was written for a small indie film (titled, "slutty summer") I worked on a while ago (when I knew even less) and I'm now trying to remix it.

thanks for all of your help !

jc[ATTACH]333571[/ATTACH] *not sure how else to get the music to you all on here , so i've attached an mp3 file (used highest quality encoding). probably not the best method...

• Members

Good to hear you're not recording too hot. That was something that everyone told us to do when we were recording on 16-bit stuff, so sometimes it's a carry over if you've used those older ADATs or whatever before. But in digital, as with analog, overloading the mix buss will definitely adversely affect your sound. With most DAWs, you can group all your faders together, bring them down simultaneously, and then keep working.

• Members

Just listened to it on some HD280 headphones. So not the best listening situation but I thought it sounded pretty good. Seems you have the vocals pushed back in the mix a bit. Was that intentional? Overall I think the mix definitely works. Just maybe a bit of polishing and bring out the sheen. ;)

• Members

thanks cme. no, i didn't intentionally put the vox low in the mix... i will investigate that.. sounded ok in my car - re: vox level...

one of the other things I was having difficulty with is getting a good medium -overdrive tone (for e-guitars) to be more apparent without being too loud . it appears to be a tricky balance to get it right with this mix. any pointers ?

for electric guitars during the choruses, I have two tracks: rhythm and lead, panned hard right and left. cant seem to get the rhythm track present enough without it being too loud. and then when I think i have it at a good level, the lead will seem buried. could this be an eq issue ? or perhaps i need to continue to find the right balance ?

thanks again to all !

• Members

Yeah the level wasn't bad. Just seemed kind of roomy and had some distance to the sound. I tend to keep my vocals more up front, but I can see where it works with that song to have a little space. I'll have to get back to you on the guitars though. I only listened briefly. And yes getting a good guitar sound to "tape" can be a fun adventure. Once you get the hang of it though it's not to hard to repeat. I didn't notice anything obvious with your guitars but I will listen again. ;)

• Members

The kick and toms and guiro (left channel - the percussion instrument) are very prominent on my Bose computer speakers, and vocals are back a bit and should probably have a little more clarity. A boost on the top end a bit might help. It's hard to say, but if you back off a bit on the kick and tom or EQ them or something, it could open up the mix a bit too. The question you ask about the guitars is an EQ one. You can sometimes dig out a "trough" in the rhythm and let the lead settle in, or simply EQ them differently. Or use a different tone on one. There's numerous ways to do this. I often like to address this through guitar tone (choice of guitar/amp/microphone, how I play it, effects or not, whether it has distortion or not, etc.) first...in other words, arrangement. That often is the answer. But after that, EQ is often the answer for separating them and making them more distinct.

• Members

Been listening a bit more. IMO it's really a pretty solid mix. Even ran it through some of my fave "mastering" plugs in Pro Tools. I def was able to bring out the vocals some more and get the guitars a bit better balanced. However it seems the lead part is still a bit low in level. And as Ken mentioned the low end is a bit tubby. That was one of the things I did was eq some of that out before running it into a multi-band limiter/compressor.

If I trusted my headphones more I would send you a copy back lol. Or if I had my monitor room still set up. Got married a couple of months ago and haven't set up a room in the new place. Anyways I def think you are way closer than you might think.

• Members

thanks guys, for your time in listening and helping !

I will take everything you say and go back, remix and see if it works for me.

yes, that damn guiro (or whatever) is part of the drum loop used. at the time i thought it was cool, but now, i think it sucks. I will likely remove it if it doesn't change the feel..

i do agree that the kick and toms need to be lower.. and the guitars need better eq'ing.

how do i get the low end from being tubby ? i agree with that but not sure how to fix..

Archived