Calling Schecter C-1 players (string tension question)

LookingForDD20

• Members

To those with a Schecter C-1:

Do you find that it's harder to bend the strings on your C-1 than on other guitars?

It's been bugging me for a while now, and all of the Fender Strats I've played in stores were easier for string bends.

I should mention that I use 10s and it's recently had a pro setup.

• Members

Originally posted by LookingForDD20

I played a number of new strats, including an EJ with 10s. All of them were easier to bend.

Yea, on mine the strings feel tight and hard to bend. I figured it was the scale length or something else I knew nothing about.

• Members

Originally posted by FryGuy

Yea, on mine the strings feel tight and hard to bend. I figured it was the scale length or something else I knew nothing about.

Same scale length as a strat. My guess is either the angled headstock or the string-through body.

I wonder if there's anything we can do about it.

:(

• Members

My Hellraiser never really had any issues with string tension vs my Jackson. My Brother's c-1 Elite on the other hand, came set up by Schecter pretty stiff. I mean there was a good 3/4 inch gap between the strings and the bridge pickup. I dropped his bridge considerably and rasied the pickup a bit.

I guess what I am saying, is you might benefit a little bit by dropping the bridge if you can. No this wont nessecarily cure a tension problem, but might lower the action a bit to a point where you wont be uncomfortable with bending.

Drop it down till the frets start to buzz, then raise it up a bit and see how it works. I was surprised how much I was able to drop the bridge before it started to buzz.

edit: Ahh nevermind I re-read your post I see you had a pro set it up. What's his take on it?

• Members

My Hellraiser came with really nice low action so I didn't notice too much tension. I think any difference from a strat would be the string through versus the strat trem. If you're looking for less tension the only thing that comes to mind is switching to lighter strings and setting your aciton as low as possible obviously.

• Members

I find hard tails slightly 'stiffer' when bending than floating bridges.

Fretboard radius and how smooth your frets are will make quite a bit of difference in feel too.

Old/dirty strings tend to feel much stiffer too, especially if there is gunk/corrosion build up on the underside of the string. This makes it grip more against the fret, instead of sliding smoothly. Also, dirty strings have less sustain and sound 'dead', which makes it 'feel' even stiffer again.

Note: The actual string 'tension' is identical for all guitars with the same scale length and string gauge/age that are tuned the same.

• Members

Originally posted by pipedwho

Note: The actual string 'tension' is identical for all guitars with the same scale length and string gauge/age that are tuned the same.

Yeah, I was aware of that. I've heard my issue described as string "bendyness" but thought more people would connect with string tension.

My next plan of action is to get some strings that mix 9s for the top strings and 10s for the bottom. That won't be until this weekend at the earliest, though.

• Members

I thought it was my imagination but, yes, they definitely are stiffer on my C-1 E/A.

I just measured it and it's a normal 25.5" scale. I use the same gauge strings as I do on my Strats but there is more tension for sure.

This is weird.

• Members

Nope. It's a piece of cake on my C-1 Classic, but it's got 9's on it. I have an A-1 set up with 10's, and I do notice a little difference between the two. But I used to own an American Deluxe Strat with 9's, and if anything I thought it was easier on my C-1.

• Members

I tried out a couple of C1's at the music store this week and noticed they seemed really tight when bending the strings. I have a Schecter Terry Corso and it's way easier to do bends on. I think the frets on mine are bigger than on the C1, so I figured that was why it was harder to bend.....

• Members

Do you thnk it's easier to bend on a strat because the trem might be dipping inwards a tad when you bend, therefore shortening the scale? Has anybody compared how far it takes to bend up two steps or three steps on each? Maybe that would explain why the Schecter is "harder" to bend, because it is a hardtail...

I dunno. I might just be talking out my ass. :D

• Members

Originally posted by bumrunner

Do you thnk it's easier to bend on a strat because the trem might be dipping inwards a tad when you bend, therefore shortening the scale? Has anybody compared how
far
it takes to bend up two steps or three steps on each? Maybe that would explain why the Schecter is "harder" to bend, because it is a hardtail...

I dunno. I might just be talking out my ass.
:D

No, you are correct, there is a noticeable difference (with my Floyd anyway). The string needs to move further with the Floyd to bend to the same pitch as a hardtail. But, it feels easier to push it that longer distance.

Archived