Metal slivers in your pick hand from strings ???

OliverKlohzoff

• Members

Interesting. You are using strings that terrorists have sabotaged to come apart as you play and slice up your hand, those bastards. Wait, you are literally...shredding. You should wear thick rubber gloves, an apron, and goggles while you play...safety first!

Seriously, you must be doing something like "shredding" the strings with a metal pick while you are playing and creating the shavings and splinters...or maybe it's happening against something sharp in your case or on your stand?

Orrrrr, maybe your strings are suck.

What kind of strings do you use, what kind of pick, and what kind of guitar and amp for that matter? We must learn more about this curious phenomenon.

How often do you play guitar?

• Members
Originally posted by OliverKlohzoff

Anybody else have this problem? It's driving me nuts. I keep getting tiny little metal slivers in my palm where it mutes/lies on top of my Floyd bridges and in the side of my thumb where I use it on pinch harmonics. The damn things stay in there for days and make it hurt to play guitar.

that's hilarious.
that must be ither the bridge, or strings.. 25 yrs old strings, that is :D

• Members

Even the stronest acid won't cause a string to have "slivers" that would come off. It would simply dissolve or oxidize the string. The ONLY thing I can imagine happening here is that when he broke/replaced a string, a piece of the old one was left in the bridge. That somehow came loose and he picked it up. That's why I asked if the strings have been replaced. If it's happening over and over and over, then I have no idea what's going on with it.

Plus, the more iron, the faster a string is going to oxidize.. Nickel is more resistant to tarnishing than iron..

• Members

I've had some sort of this problem, and I know a friend who has had it once or twice also. You can see a tiny dot on your finger, and it just hurts like hell when you touch there. It's like being stabbed. I'm positive it has something to do with my guitars, but I agree that it seems pretty illogical.

• Members

Look for a different culprit than the strings...namely, cheap chromed parts on your guitar that may be flaking.

I had this problem with a '96 MIM Strat once...the input jack had chrome that was either peeling or flaking, and I ended up with a few nice slivers in the side of my picking hand. It took a pretty thorough visual inspection of the guitar to find out what was happening...the chrome was flaking off the input jack around the screws that hold it into the body. If you find any badly chromed parts of your guitar that are flaking, replace them...the chrome will continue to peel and strip.

Also...one other possibilty is that you may have left part of a broken string in the lock of the Floyd Rose bridge itself...this happened to me on more than occasion, where I thought it had fallen out. Just that little end of a broken .011 can feel like a hypodermic if your palm runs against it, but it won't leave any slivers in your hand.

Archived