Schaller Floyd Question

Rich4Once

• Members

I've got a problem with my Schaller Floyd Rose bridge. There's a slight bit of "play" in the arm, before it moves the bridge. Now, I'm not really much of a whammy bar guy, (generally just occasional dives and such) but my band's put a song on the list where I need to use it differently.

We're adding Stone in Love from Journey, and there's a whammy bit just before the outro..a harmonic on the G string at the 5th fret, with the bar dips...Whoo- whoo-whoo-whoo, and the play in the bar is {censored}ing everything up. The sustain on that note quickly goes away, and the other strings start vibrating from the jarring motion of the bar before it moves the bridge.

Is there a way to fix the play, or do I have to get another bridge? I've looked around a bit, and every one I see on Ebay is similar to the Schaller, where the arm is put in, and the tensioner nut is tightened.

I also have a Kramer Vanguard (RR shape) with an original Floyd, and its bar screws in, and there's no play at all, which is perfect.

Is there a locking bridge out there that works the same way, available in gold? The only original Floyds I've found are black or chrome, and I'm not sure if they changed the way the're made, or if the bar still screws in the way my old one does.

• Members

All you need is a new arm assembly.. Stew Mac sells the actuall Schaller arm, but in a pinch, GC sells one too. The Schaller arm is a smidge heavier and feels thicker. Should be about $10-15, depending on your hardware color. the arm assembly comes with the arm and the mounting socket that installs easily with the same 3mm wrench you lock the nut with. Super easy install, takes 5 minutes..

Archived