TS9 or TS808 Whats the big difference

burton4snow

• Members

Many find the Tubescreamer is perfect for getting a little grit in the signal, with the drive turn up for some OD, but not a tone.

I assume you are asking about the RI's. You'll find a lot about which chip the TS-9RI uses, and I will admit I also find it less musical than other IC's that are out there. To my ears the TS-9RI has more gian on tap, but everything has a buzzy overtone to it, it just doesn't sound as natural. A switch to the traditional JRC4558D chip (which, at one time, was out of production, but has been made agin for a long time), or two or three others, really helps it fall in-line with the more organic, more tube-like sounding originals. This is why there was a cottage industry of rTS-9/808 conversions for many years, the bulk of the conversion was merely switching out the chip, though there were less important changes that are also made to get the circuit closer to that of a 808.

The TS-808RI comes with the right chip out of the box, no conversion necessary.

Neither necessary has a reliable switch, which has often been a weak point for Ibanez.

There are also at least 3- or 4-dozen TS knockoffs by boutique builders large and small.

ANd then there are the alternative pedals that are designed to give a similar bluesy overdrive, which vary in price. People love some of the economical choices a lot- the Digitech Bad Monkey and Nobels ODR-1; and the Boss BD-2 is designed a little closer to internals of a Fender tube amp.

Archived