Please ! Talk me out of buying a Gibson 58 VOS LP !!

Andre XXX

• Members

To follow up on a my post from a few days agao.......I have tried and re-tried several times one of the new Gibson 58 VOS les paul's and have confirmed it's not just lust but true love I have for this guitar..........The sound, QC and build quality is top notch.

I find myself thinking about it as I fall asleep.......and it's on my mind when I open my eyes ( I wish I was kidding but I'm not :freak: ).....

I'm obsessed !!! Please, for the love of god talk me down off this precipice !!

The last thing I need is another guitar !!

But when I hold it in my hands that chunky neck , in fact the whole guitar in general, feel's like an old friend and seems to cry out " Please, take me home "

And the sound is tear inducing :cry:

Please talk me out of this.........:(:cry:

• Members
Originally posted by rich78

If you can afford it, get it man!!
:thu:

This doesn't help :D

I could swing it if i sell some other stuff ( I would consider selling one of my strats - probably the custom shop )....

But I really dont need this LP............it's more i want it and have become obsessed....

Can anyone please give some good reasons to just forget about this guitar ???

Please !!! :cry:

Wow.... you've been on a tear!!!:freak:

And no bargain basement stuff either.....

But when a guitar speaks to you...

When it haunts you...

When it is everything you ever thought it could be...

And your wife is not aiming a gun at you...

And you can cover the rent/mortgage..... this month....:D

• Members

Look....you know you're gonna buy it.I know you're gonna buy it.We all know you're gonna buy it.So buy it!
You know if you dither any longer some undeserving little bastard is gonna take it away right from underneath your nose.And then the depression will set in....and the guilt that you let the guitar of your dreams slide through your fingers.

Glad I could be of some help. :)

ps. I'd flog the PRS.

• Members

When the guitar is screaming at you to buy it as this particular one is doing, you will regret it if someone else gets it before you do!
Why?
I have been playing Gibsons for 50+ years now. There were times when I had but a couple of them and had more Fender custom shop guitars and was playing Fenders non-stop, but I kept the Gibsons.

Then one day about 6 years ago, I woke up and for some reason, I decided to start playing Gibsons again and unload all of my Fenders.
As you know buying any guitar has to be such that if you find a particularly good one, it could be a long time finding it or you could get lucky and come across one right away that speaks to you, such as you have at this time.

I have gone through over 100 R9's and Cloud 9's just to find one that spoke to me. It takes a lot of effort and calling around to do this as I'm sure you and anyone looking for a Gibson can attest too. I have done this procedure over 10 times in the last six years and only have 3 Gibsons that I have kept, a Cloud9 R9, a CS 356 and a CS 336. All of my other Gibsons were played for about one month and sold as they were not the ones I thought they would be. This is just the nature of the way it is, as you are aware.

When a guitar is gone, and you think that you remember how it was when you come across another one, your memory will be confused and you will think the new one "may" be as good, but you will definitely have your doubts as your mind tries to remember the fine points of the guitar you let get away when comparing it mentally to a new one you are currently looking at.

If this LP is that good, don't torture yourself, and don't worry about getting another Fender. Buy this guitar, play it, DON'T SAVE IT, and make the most of your musical enjoyment. It isn't that easy to locate another one that will speak to you as this one has. Take this from someone who knows and has gone through this {censored} too many times. Once they are gone, they are gone, like a girlfriend that has left you and has begun sleeping with other guys. Even if you get her back, things will be going through your mind and you will regret letting her go in the first place.
Stephen

• Members

If you can swing it by selling some stuff, then you need to ask yourself:

What would I rather have in the long run....the stuff that I've got now, or this new Les Paul.

If the Custom Shop Strat is collecting dust and the LP speaks to you, then ditch the Strat for the LP.

• Members
Originally posted by Frets99

Wow.... you've been on a tear!!!
:freak:

And no bargain basement stuff either.....

But when a guitar speaks to you...

When it haunts you...

When it is everything you ever thought it could be...

And your wife is not aiming a gun at you...

And you can cover the rent/mortgage..... this month....
:D

The wife reason could be a good one :D Thanks :thu:

• Members

Andre you know you're talking to the wrong group here. We encourage people to buy stuff. You sound like you really love this guitar. With all your nice stuff I don't know what you would sell. But will you continue to kick yourself if you don't buy it. It really is somewhat of a tough call. This is not a cheap instrument. I'd say figure out a way to get and then you gotta chill a while man! Enjoy those nice guitars.

• Members
Originally posted by paul44

Look....you know you're gonna buy it.I know you're gonna buy it.We all know you're gonna buy it.So buy it!

You know if you dither any longer some undeserving little bastard is gonna take it away right from underneath your nose.And then the depression will set in....and the guilt that you let the guitar of your dreams slide through your fingers.

Glad I could be of some help.
:)

ps. I'd flog the PRS.

LOL :D :D I love that PRS though.........that trem comes in handy ( especially if I sell a strat - I like a trem equipped guitar for some tunes )

..........again I want this...but don't need it:(

• Members
Originally posted by C-4

When the guitar is screaming at you to buy it as this particular one is doing, you will regret it if someone else gets it before you do!

Why?

I have been playing Gibsons for 50+ years now. There were times when I had but a couple of them and had more Fender custom shop guitars and was playing Fenders non-stop, but I kept the Gibsons.

Then one day about 6 years ago, I woke up and for some reason, I decided to start playing Gibsons again and unload all of my Fenders.

As you know buying any guitar has to be such that if you find a particularly good one, it could be a long time finding it or you could get lucky and come across one right away that speaks to you, such as you have at this time.

I have gone through over 100 R9's and Cloud 9's just to find one that spoke to me. It takes a lot of effort and calling around to do this as I'm sure you and anyone looking for a Gibson can attest too. I have done this procedure over 10 times in the last six years and only have 3 Gibsons that I have kept, a Cloud9 R9, a CS 356 and a CS 336. All of my other Gibsons were played for about one month and sold as they were not the ones I thought they would be. This is just the nature of the way it is, as you are aware.

When a guitar is gone, and you think that you remember how it was when you come across another one, your memory will be confused and you will think the new one "may" be as good, but you will definitely have your doubts as your mind tries to remember the fine points of the guitar you let get away when comparing it mentally to a new one you are currently looking at.

If this LP is that good, don't torture yourself, and don't worry about getting another Fender. Buy this guitar, play it, DON'T SAVE IT, and make the most of your musical enjoyment. It isn't that easy to locate another one that will speak to you as this one has. Take this from someone who knows and has gone through this {censored} too many times. Once they are gone, they are gone, like a girlfriend that has left you and has begun sleeping with other guys. Even if you get her back, things will be going through your mind and you will regret letting her go in the first place.

Stephen

Wow...........I appreciate you taking the time to write these wise thoughts.....I really do. What you say does make sense....and I'm not kidding you when I say this guitar has been in the front and back of my mind consistently since I've found it.... And it's funny....my first good guitar many, many years ago was a les paul deluxe....It was my only guitar for years ( It was all I could afford at the time ).....I loved that guitar so much I never thought of another ( hard to believe now ! )......I recorded with it...gigged with it extensively, even threw it across a stage a couple of times...I got drunk with it, cried with it....you name it, that les paul and I did it...and it was my only guitar !! And then stupidly I sold it about 5 - 6 years ago after not playing it for a while and aquiring some other gear....That's the only guitar I've ever regretted selling.

It seems the soul of that les paul I sold has been reincarnated in this one I'm interested in....something tells me you guys will understand....

And my wife is actually pretty supportive of my gear purchases....I'm in a place now where I pretty much sell one whenever I buy one ( so she doesn't think I'm completley irresponsible !). I'm more of a player than a collector for sure.

I may put some money down just to hold it at least ( I can always tranfer the down payment to a store credit if I change my mind _ they would probably even refund it I've bought so much stuff over the years from them...

Thanks again....:thu:

• Members

Yeah, you know "need" doesn't even enter the equation, really. This guitar does something for you, as others have said, it speaks to you.

Are you someone that can pick up any old guitar off the rack and be happy? Doesn't sound like it, you've got some high-end stuff. (not that there's anything wrong with any of that).

Bottom line: you only live once, and if you can swing it financially, DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! Did I mention that you should do it?

Consider this. Imagine a month from now, if you don't buy the guitar, you wander into the shop and find that it's gone. Sure, maybe they have another, but what if you can't find another one that speaks to you like that? *pulling on cardigan, picking up notepad*...how does that make you feel?

• Members

Originally posted by EdMan63

Andre you know you're talking to the wrong group here. We encourage people to buy stuff. You sound like you really love this guitar. With all your nice stuff I don't know what you would sell. But will you continue to kick yourself if you don't buy it. It really is somewhat of a tough call. This is not a cheap instrument. I'd say figure out a way to get and then you gotta chill a while man! Enjoy those nice guitars.

I hear ya.........If I do get this I'm staying away from music stores for a long while !

• Members
Originally posted by santos

Yeah, you know "need" doesn't even enter the equation, really. This guitar does something for you, as others have said,
it speaks to you

Are you someone that can pick up any old guitar off the rack and be happy? Doesn't sound like it, you've got some high-end stuff. (not that there's anything wrong with any of that).

Bottom line: you only live once, and if you can swing it financially, DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!! Did I mention that you should do it?

Consider this. Imagine a month from now, if you don't buy the guitar, you wander into the shop and find that it's gone. Sure, maybe they have another, but what if you can't find another one that speaks to you like that? *pulling on cardigan, picking up notepad*...how does that make you feel?

Good advice as well :cool: LOL - I do feel like i should be lying on a couch spilling my guts to you after reading it :D

• Members

Don't do it. Take note of what it is you like about this Gibby, and then go to a good luthier who will be able to build you a custom version of it for a fraction of that price........

either way, be glad you live in the US where gibsons are merely stupidly expensive, as opposed to ludicrously stupidly expensive like they are over here! :cry:

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

Don't do it. Take note of what it is you like about this Gibby, and then go to a good luthier who will be able to build you a custom version of it for a fraction of that price........

either way, be glad you live in the US where gibsons are merely stupidly expensive, as opposed to ludicrously stupidly expensive like they are over here!
:cry:

mmmm.........I'm thinking a hand made version of a custom shop gibson would even cost me more....no ??

perhaps I should try out some Agiles :D;)

• Members
Originally posted by Andre XXX

mmmm.........I'm thinking a hand made version of a custom shop gibson would even cost me more....no ??

perhaps I should try out some Agiles
:D;)

Well, i can't claim to know the US market, to be fair.... but over here I could go to a top name luthier and have a replica of an LP made to custom specs similar to that Gibby model for in the region of GBP2,000 - that's about what you'd pay for a production Gibson LP Custom here. One of the historic models you're looking closer to GBP3,500-4,000. Crazy.... but it must be worth it to some folks, or they wouldn't still be selling 'em!

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

Well, i can't claim to know the US market, to be fair.... but over here I could go to a top name luthier and have a replica of an LP made to custom specs similar to that Gibby model for in the region of GBP2,000 - that's about what you'd pay for a production Gibson LP Custom here. One of the historic models you're looking closer to GBP3,500-4,000. Crazy.... but it must be worth it to some folks, or they wouldn't still be selling 'em!

Thanks for the info....I gotta tell you, these newer 2006 VOS gibson's that have gone through this new "plek " procedure are really great guitars.......

Gibson may have turned the corner on QC issues....several I've tried have all sounded great and were set up wonderfully........but per my original post, this partucular one stood out among the rest..

:cry:

Archived