I am such a novice right now!

• Members

Just opened the Yamaha Mm6 and I can't find any info as to what type of connectors I need on those midi in and out plugs. For that matter, I am NOT a professional, just a hobbiest who created midi songs in the 70's on an Atari, then midi using Yamaha 300 keyboard, then Yamaha PSR 620 that I used for gigs and eventually creating CD's that I sold then.

BUT, now at age 77 I just want to create Cd's and give away to friends at the Senior Center. Anyone have anytime to talke with me and help me get back into the groove? And do you know how to begin using this synth?

Diane Marshall, formerly The Travelin' Troubadours of Ohio

Hi Diane. Welcome to Harmony Central. :)

I'm not a Yamaha MM6 owner, so I won't be the best person to ask for all the particulars on that specific synth, but I'll bet if you asked over on the Keyboards, Synths & Samplers (KSS) Forum here at HC, someone will be able to assist you.

As far as the cables you need, I'm not even sure about that. The MM6 has standard MIDI connectors on it, as well as USB connectors.

Yamaha MM6 rear panel

Some devices support "MIDI over USB", but I'm not sure if the MM6 is set up to use the USB port that way or not. If it is, you can probably just connect a standard USB cable to the synth, and the other end to your computer. The type of cable you need for that is just a normal USB cable, like this one.

If it doesn't support MIDI over USB, you'll have to use the two 5-pin DIN MIDI connections and connect them to a MIDI interface that is connected to your computer. Here's a dual MIDI cable - single ones are also available. If you need a MIDI interface for your computer, you can get a basic one relatively inexpensively.

While I'm happy to help you as much as I can, for general operating questions that pertain to that specific synth, someone who owns one will probably be better able to assist you... but if there's anything else I can help you with, please let me know. :)

Archived