Anybody ever seen a semi-hollow body like this one?

hardtdc

• Members

Link worked for me.

I used to own a guitar that was very similar; same bridge, Bigsby knockoff tailpiece, turners, and pickups.

Wasn't as pretty, with the flame, but the neck looked like the same wood, and it was of the same vintage. I have no idea what factory it was made in, and it had no idenitifiable markings. Mine had a different headstock, and no five-bolt neck attachment.

I sold it for $40. and I can't imagine paying more than that for another one.

As I remember the string spacing was rather narrow--if you like that sort of thing.

I did the same thing on mine as the one picture, where I took off the vibrato arm, and ran the strings straight-through.

If you do buy it, PM me; I think I still have the vibrato bar laying around, and if looks like that one needs a replacement.

I think I still have a pickup, because I had swapped-out the originals, So if you wanted to mod it into a three pickup guitar, I might be able to help you.

• Members

That guitar is from before the golden age of Japanese guitars. It may be somewhat collectable, but is not nearly the guitar that the later "lawsuit" models were/are.

IMHO, the bolt neck MIJ semis, whatever the name on the headstock (Univox, Lyle, Greco, Epiphone...) are inferior.

• Members

Let's just call it "Guitar X" :rolleyes:

It's obviously Japanese. Compare it to this 1960s Matsumoku made Aria Diamond

I might be the same maker - headstock has same notch, f-holes are similar - but neck is much higher off the body on Guitar X, and 5 screw neck plate is unusual for Matsumoku.

I'd almost say it isn't the same maker. Which leaves Guyatone, Terada, and maybe Kawai as likely makers.

• Members

Originally posted by headless

Link worked for me.

I used to own a guitar that was very similar; same bridge, Bigsby knockoff tailpiece, turners, and pickups.

Wasn't as pretty, with the flame, but the neck looked like the same wood, and it was of the same vintage. I have no idea what factory it was made in, and it had no idenitifiable markings. Mine had a different headstock, and no five-bolt neck attachment.

I sold it for $40. and I can't imagine paying more than that for another one.

As I remember the string spacing was rather narrow--if you like that sort of thing.

I did the same thing on mine as the one picture, where I took off the vibrato arm, and ran the strings straight-through.

If you do buy it, PM me; I think I still have the vibrato bar laying around, and if looks like that one needs a replacement.

I think I still have a pickup, because I had swapped-out the originals, So if you wanted to mod it into a three pickup guitar, I might be able to help you.

I forgot to mention that the very similar one that I had, came with very low frets--very much a "fretless wonder".

And if the one pictured is like mine, then it is actually fully hollow--not semi-hollow, as the ebay auction states.

Archived