straplock help

ZeppelinPie792

• Members

I am looking for a straplock system that does not make the strap go significantly further away from the guitar where it is already without one. Price isn't really too much an issue, as I have around $25 to spend and most are $20 or below. can anyone give me suggestions for good ones? I am currently looking at the dunlop ones, but I do not know the difference between the models

• Members

I have one guitar with dunlop, one with schaller

the schallers are on a thick leather strap for a LP and they are a pain in the ass to take off, you gotta pull out to take the strap off

the dunlops are on a thin suede strap for an SG and they are much easier to use because you push in to take the strap out

plus the strap pins for the schallers are worthless unless you have the strap with the locks

dunlop > schaller, but for all intents and purposes, they both work fine

oh yeah, for a permanent solution and for one that doesnt make the strap jut out too much

unscrew the pin, place strap over hole, then screw the pin back in

• Members

there are 3 dunlop models that I know of.

One that is just mainly for the locks and if you put a strap on it the normal way it would prob slip right off.

The dual-mode (recommended for most applications) works with the locks but also has a flare so that it will work well with a normal strap too.

There is also IIRC one that you probably have to route out around the screw hole but it goes in flush into the guitar.

My father in-law has the schallers.
They are prob your best bet.

• Members
Originally posted by hondro

the schallers are on a thick leather strap for a LP and they are a pain in the ass to take off, you gotta pull out to take the strap off

That's sort of the point of a straplock: it shouldn't be really easy to take off. I've found that a little mineral oil (Fast Fret works) makes them operate smoothly. Keeps them from squeaking when you move, too.

plus the strap pins for the schallers are worthless unless you have the strap with the locks

Huh? The Schaller pins work fine with regular straps.

When installed correctly (cup facing up) there's no way a guitar could come loose from jostling or bumping the straplock button. The only drawback to Schallers is the nut on the strap portion tends to back off. Put a drop of LocTite on it and you're golden.

3016_1lg.jpg

• Members

I basically keep my strap on my les paul 24/7, so yeah, like Qengho said, I want one where the strap doesn't come off (I mean that kind of is what a strap lock system is). In fact, I have a thick leather strap on my les paul, but that doesn't really matter. Do the shallers make the strap be further from the guitar than the dunlops?

Archived