Gibson Les Paul Studio vs. Standard SG

FinchTheory

• Members

Of the two you are interested, I'd get the LP. I never liked the way SG's felt.

I sympathasize with you on the neck binding. I really prefer bound Gibson necks, too. They just feel smoother.

I know you said not to mention other guitars.... but what about a LP double cut? THey seem to be in your price range (on Ebay) they are a good compromise between the SG and LP body types, and they have bound necks!

To wit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=7331061315&rd=1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

I have an SG standard and an LP Studio Premium plus. It's a difficult comparison, the two instruments are very different by nature. I believe the neck profile is slightly narrower on the SG and I find the SG easier to play. But comparing the two is a little like apples and oranges. As far as the Studio vs the standard, I had a Firebird studio that was really crap and was going to stay away from them. But then I found the LP studio premium plus in Guitar Center and found it to be of a much higher quality. For about the same price you could get a Les Paul Double Cut which is light like an SG and has all of the bindings etc. Only thing is I had an LP double cut but did not like the thin line neck, the neck was too narrow and the frets profiled too round so the 1st string was constantly clattering off to the side of the neck! Luckily I sold it for a good price on ebay. (BTW I am on Youtube as mister990 playing blues on various guitars.)

• Members

Here is a clip:

http://www.geocities.com/amp360d/sglp.mp3

The first three are my SG using Neck/Both/Bridge

The last three are my LP using Neck/Both/Bridge

Recorded direct into ProTools through a Universal Audio 610 Tube Pre with no effects or EQ.

I used a pick for these - something which I hardly ever do and played the same part for each example.

That's what they sound like.

• Members

Originally posted by 360

Here is a clip:

The first three are my SG using Neck/Both/Bridge

The last three are my LP using Neck/Both/Bridge

Recorded direct into ProTools through a Universal Audio 610 Tube Pre with no effects or EQ.

I used a pick for these - something which I hardly ever do and played the same part for each example.

That's what they sound like.

Excellent comparison... See, to me, the two guitars sound so similar the only determining factor would be playability - that, and whether or not you're simply DETERMINED to have the words "Les Paul" on your headstock. Which is fine, certainly.

• Members

Well, you can get an SG with Les Paul on the headstock so that shouldn't be an issue either.

They're both good, but very different.

I used the exact same settings on each and didn't use any eq, gain or effects so you could hear what the guitars actually sound like.

I could have tweaked the recording to have each sound better but this is a straight-up a/b comparison with nothing added.

• Members
Originally posted by jfaaz

Get the SG Standard now and in a few years, when you can afford it, get a Les paul Standard.

Why buy a Studio if you want a Standard? Not good logic.

Up untill a few yrs. ago,before burstbuckers/The only Diff between a Studio and Stnd was the binding--thats it!

• Members

Originally posted by Ruler of Rock

Up untill a few yrs. ago,before burstbuckers/The only Diff between a Studio and Stnd was the binding--thats it!

true, and believe it or not quite a lot of folks like the pickups on the Lp studio. SG and Les Paul Custom guys dont complain too much.

• Members
Originally posted by No Soul

true, and believe it or not quite a lot of folks like the pickups on the Lp studio. SG and Les Paul Custom guys dont complain too much.

KUDOS!!! Stick with what they have been usi'n for ever/The 490/498 Combo iv'e ALLWAYS liked!! And the 57s--Those Burstbuckers are not for me,my nephew just bought a $3,500 LP with BBs that sounds like s--t!!

• Members

I own 2 studios. They are great guitars. Crushing LP tone with stripped down looks. Don't mind if they get dinged up as they are my "workhorse" guitars. The SG Standard is a great guitar too, but I hate that large pickguard. If I were to get an SG, I'd go for the re-issue :cool:

• Members

I'd go with the LP Studio over 99% of SGs without any hesitation.

To me it's a matter of balance. SGs simply don't sit right when I pick them up. The vast majority of them are neck heavy.

The LP Studios are great guitars without some of the needless aesthetic elements that drive the cost uo so high on higher end Gibsons. Binding and highly figured tops, while pleasing to some people's eyes, do nothing in terms of functionality or sound.

• Members
Originally posted by Milkman1

I'd go with the LP Studio over 99% of SGs without any hesitation.

To me it's a matter of balance. SGs simply don't sit right when I pick them up. The vast majority of them are neck heavy.

The LP Studios are great guitars without some of the needless aesthetic elements that drive the cost uo so high on higher end Gibsons. Binding and highly figured tops, while pleasing to some people's eyes, do nothing in terms of functionality or sound.

Exactly my thoughts--I wanna spend my time playing the damn thing--not lookin at it!!

• Members

Originally posted by BootRoots

music123.com has studios in light burst available. Best looking studio color out there hands down!

226323.jpg

There was a guy selling one for 950 on the gear page the other day too. If I didnt already have a standard in light burst I would have been all over it.

I prefer solid colours myself but that's a matter of taste.

• Members

Another vote for the SG Standard. I find the playability to be a bit better on the neck, and much prefer the darker tone.

Underoath is a band you'd probably listen to that plays the SG Standard. They have a great rhythm tone for their riffs.

• Members

Originally posted by FinchTheory

I like SGs also and the SG standard looks awesome, but I kinda like the feel of the les paul a tiny bit more.

you should get the LP if you like the feel of it better than the SG. You can change pickups for different sounds but you can't change the shape or the ergonomic feel of a guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by TomVanDeven

Another vote for the SG Standard. I find the playability to be a bit better on the neck, and much prefer the darker tone.

Underoath is a band you'd probably listen to that plays the SG Standard. They have a great rhythm tone for their riffs.

oh yeah, and totally fail to mention what kind of amp that guy uses, because that guitar has WAY more influence on his tone, right?

:rolleyes::p

• Members

I've got two of each. Again, I echo the apples and oranges comment. Both can get the job done. There's nothing thin-sounding about SG's, and LP's can be very versatile as well.

For general meat and girth, the LP is in it's element. Sg's do have that bite and mid-range growl that just brings the tone to life. Sg's are strange, in that there's a lot less wood, but so much strength and life to the tones. And the bass is there with an SG too.

Hmm..There's also the dilemna with SG's; the upper fret access is all there. In fact, my face sits appreciably closer to the 12th fret, so I see all these upper frets right in front of my face that are usually off to my right a little bit. SG's can be a noodler's delight, but some have that neck heaviness thing.

I personally might go for the SG Standard. I wanted to get a Standard, but found a good deal for an '61 Reissue SG on Ebay and couldn't resist. However, one of my main guitars that I go to constantly is a LP Studio with an ebony neck.

Actually, the cool thing to do would be to play test several and find one of the stellar ones, LP or SG. That way, you couldn't lose!

'Cause what's good in one person's Les Paul is only average in anothers. I'd say play some, and if you find an SG that's really sings more than any of the Les Pauls, get that SG with a smile on your face. Or the Studio. Either would make my day.

I'd like either an SG Standard in black, or one of the new Studios with the flamed top.

Archived