Les paul question? For the Les paul players

nightwatchman

• Members

I have an older Greco Japanese LP. I was told it has a solid body, and does not have a chamber. It weighs 10 lbs.

My question is this, the guitar is very resonant, it has an almost acoustic quality to it, it even sounds louder than my strat when played unplugged.

Most Les pauls when played unplugged sound dead, for lack of a better word.

Is this a good thing? In the neck position, it almost sounds like strat.

Thanks for you opinions.

NW

• Members

Originally posted by nightwatchman

I have an older Greco Japanese LP. I was told it has a solid body, and does not have a chamber. It weighs 10 lbs.

My question is this, the guitar is very resonant, it has an almost acoustic quality to it, it even sounds louder than my strat when played unplugged.

Is this a good thing? In the neck position, it almost sounds like strat.

Thanks for you opinions.

NW

Greco MIJ LesPaul copies are sweet guitars. From your description it sounds like you have a real "singer". Keep it and enjoy:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Burningleaves

Greco MIJ LesPaul copies are sweet guitars. From your description it sounds like you have a real "singer". Keep it and enjoy:thu:

That is the answer. The tone and resonant qualities of an unplugged electric are the first things many people look for before they even plug in when trying out a guitar. It will tell you a lot about the plugged in tone.

• Members

les paul's generally sound much louder and better unplugged than strats. it's that bridge, i think. much better at transfering vibrations to the wood than a strat tremolo. and i always thought it had to do with the set neck, but a lot of people are saying the set neck makes no difference, so i dont know. i think it has to do with the pickguard and body routing on the strat as well
the les paul basically is at least somewhat chambered...with the spaces for the pickups and wiring and whatnot. no electric guitar is 100% solid

but yes my epiphone les paul has that quality to it as well.

whoa, didn't read that line

don't know what les pauls you've been playing...but every one i've played sounds very resonant unplugged
for a solid body guitar of course
compared to a semi-hollow they can sound dead unplugged

Archived