Kill switch

bengerm77

• Members
Originally posted by bengerm77

How do other people on the forum feel about this?

Well, since you put it that way... I think it's completely immoral and I'm currently lobbying congress for a constitutional amendment to outlaw such diablolical practices. :mad:

Nah, sounds like just the ticket for single coils. :)

• Members

^ :D

I love em - the best thing about the trad Gibson setup with two vols and two pups is being able to do that machine-gun on / off effect (never gets old for me!, though I'd rather a single master tone pot to allow for the fourth to be a master volume - I plan to rewire my future Gibby types that way). A kill switch allows for that and also a handy mute, leaving all your guitar settings alone.... can't beat that. IMO, a kill switch should come as standard on all electric guitars.

• Members
Originally posted by Ryan Trevisol

Hmmmm . . . yes, THAT's both practical AND logical!
:rolleyes:

No need to get pissy. I happen to believe that they are indeed practical (and a very easy addition to the design on pretty much anything), and logical in that they offer certain practical benefits.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by finboy

i have a momentary kill switch button on my tele, makes for great fun. when you push it in, kills the signal, as soon as you let go of the button, signal comes back on.

Those are fun for effect, and I'll probably put one in a guitar sometime. I'd prefer a push / push button that you could use as a mute, though. The mini-toggles look and feel sexier, IMO, but a push-push would probably be less likely to be flicked inadvertently.

• Members

On the Gibson Trini Lopez model, they called it the "La Bamba" switch.

A toggle switch that was momentary on one throw and locking on the other throw might be the best choice for such a switch. The momentary side could be used for "stutter" effects, and the locking side for when the guitar was to be muted for an extended period.

• Members
Originally posted by Edward

No need to get pissy. I happen to believe that they are indeed practical (and a very easy addition to the design on pretty much anything), and logical in that they offer certain practical benefits.

:)

I'm not pissy. . . . I'm just saying they're not for everyone. And therefore not for every guitar.

In playing lead and rhythm Classic Rock, Rock, Blues, and Alt-Rock for a number of years, I have NEVER, EVER had the need of a kill switch. Ever. I'm sure there's other people who would never use a kill switch.

It's kind of like if you said every guitar should have red LED's next to the knobs so that you could see them when you play in dark environments. There'd be a lot of people who would never need that nor would they like it on their guitar.

• Members

I love kill switches. I had my Parker guitar re-wired and modded so that I could do the stutter-y tremolo like effect with it. Not to mention it is a very practical piece.

I'd like to put one on my Tele someday, but Im not 100% on how to go about it. Meh.

Archived