Suggestions for a High-Gain Gigging Amp?

Devinstation

• Members

My band has started to set up some gigs and so I am starting to look for an amp that REALLY captures the sound I am looking for.

Ideally it would be a 2 channel amp, with good, punchy cleans that can get plenty loud to be heard over another guitarist, bassist, and drummer who all play loud. I also need a good distortion. I guess the best way to describe it is a thick distortion, I played a Mesa Single Rectifier once that had a similar sound.

I really don't care if it is tube or solid state, it just needs to sound good. I also prefer combos just for their convenience but I would not hold back on buying a Head+Cab setup.

Suggestions?

Also if anyone has one the want to sell or possibly trade for an Epiphone Blues Custom (and maybe some cash too) Im open for offers.

I am trying to keep it under $1000 for now.

• Members

Buying new, you're pretty much limited to the Peavey 5150/6505 unless you want to get into the cheaper Chinese-built amps that so many companies offer now. The Peaveys tend to be pretty reliable, reasonably priced, and can be serviced almost anywhere. Some brands only provide warranty service if you ship an amp back to them, and in a gigging scenario, ANY amp is succeptible to damage.

As an example, I have been using a rackmount power amp for live shows, specifically a Peavey Classic 60 mono tube model. I got a great deal on an older Carvin T100 stereo model, and accidentally set it to stereo when I only had a speaker load on one channel. The first two shops I called balked at the idea of even checking it out because they didn't have any experience dealing with Carvin gear. When the Peavey need some minor work done, it was no problem finding a shop to do it.

• Members

i wouldn't say the vai legacy combo (although it's my favorite amp in the world) cuz he likes the Mesa Rectifier tone and that does NOT do that kinda tone.

I would've said a carvin V3 cuz those fit everything you said you wanted but those cost well over 2000$.

Can you spend a little more than 1000$? cuz you MIGHT like a peavy JSX. Not sure but you should try it out. not exactly rectifier tone but you might dig it. it's runnin for 1500 new.

not sure if the 5150 has good cleans cuz i never heard the cleans.

i honestly can't think of any other amp off the top of my head.

• Members

Why not get a Single Recto if you like it so much?

You'll have to go used, but those amps are built so well that I really wouldn't worry. They're very very loud - mine easily gets over a loud drummer, even going for a pure clean on the clean channel. Distortion is monstrous.

If you want a combo, look into the Rectoverb 1x12". You could probably get a used one sub-$1000. I use a 1x12" with my head (why didn't I just got a combo :confused: ) and it sounds great - you don't have to spend the big dough on a 4x12".

And by the way, I'm currently selling my Single Recto and 3/4 back oversize 1x12" cab. ;) Need to downsize. But I don't want to ship, pickup only for now. I'm outside of Boston.

Good luck. :cool:

• Members

I have a Laney AOR Pro Lead 50 watt head that is in near perfect condition (minor rust on a few screws holding on the corner protectors), o/w like new. It is extremely loud- played in a thrash metal band against a 100w Marshall JCM 800, approx. 900w GK bass amp with (2) 1x18 and 4x10 cabs, and a 10 piece Ludwig drum set with double 26" bass drums and a 22" low tom. Needless to say I had a lot to cut through, and did easily. If interested I may consider selling $450 plus shipping, as I use a Fender Deluxe Reverb, and a Bogner Shiva now- Playing with a totally different vibe these days.:)

Archived