what's the name of that Indian drone instrument??

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

I just got a sitar recently. Not as easy to play as you might imagine, even of you're already solid on electric lead guitar.

Funny...I found it quite easy to play. Oh wait...that was the "Raga" patch on my Roland VG-88 ver II :D

Barry

• Members

Typically a cellist isn't bending at all, and his vibrato is longitudinal - whereas a shred guitarist is bending constantly and widely and his vibrato is lateral. Of course, the guitarist's bend is usually pushing the string as opposed to the pull of the sitarist's meend.... in any event, it would be wrecking my fingers if I didn't already have the calluses from guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

Typically a cellist isn't bending at all, and his vibrato is longitudinal - whereas a shred guitarist is bending constantly and widely and his vibrato is lateral. Of course, the guitarist's bend is usually pushing the string as opposed to the
pull
of the sitarist's meend.... in any event, it would be wrecking my fingers if I didn't already have the calluses from guitar.

what I mean by that and "riding the meend" is that you are actively inonating the instrument in both cases (one by tension, the other by length) whereas with guitar we are only partially working within active intonation

(ie you have to more "interactively" find the notes on the former)

-- one thing we were talking about ...as I'm a guitarist too...is that the meend isn't merely a bend like on guitar (that was my initial assumption as well) but more of actually finding that note, not just "massaging" as we guitarists tend to do (that's apparently one of the classic stumbling blocks guitarists have with the instrument - not mechanics as such, but understanding of approach )

• Members

Got it! And now that you've explained it a bit more, I agree.... although there are frets on the sitar, you're correct that they don't function quite the way they do on guitar. Often, the fret you're on has little to do with the swar you are actually playing.

Originally posted by MorePaul

what I mean by that and "riding the meend" is that you are actively inonating the instrument in both cases (one by tension, the other by length) whereas with guitar we are only partially working within active intonation

(ie you have to more "interactively" find the notes on the former)

-- one thing we were talking about ...as I'm a guitarist too...is that the meend isn't merely a bend like on guitar (that was my initial assumption as well) but more of actually finding that note, not just "massaging" as we guitarists tend to do (that's apparently one of the classic stumbling blocks guitarists have with the instrument - not mechanics as such, but understanding of approach )

• Members

well, I'm sure I've lost a lot in the trnslation (I'm not a sitarist or a cellist) so I'm sure I didn't do the aesthetic justice

After the discussion and trying his out..one thing I can say is that is one wild instrument (of course, I got lost on his cello too ;) )

but I'm still a damn fine rubber-band-held-in-the-teeth player

Archived