Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster Plywood?

axelsam

• Members

I am purchasing a new Gibson ES-5 Switchmaster and I believe the top is laminated.

Is the fact that it's laminated a good thing? A bad thing?

It says in the decription on the Gibson site that the top is made from high-grade maple. I know that the Wes Montgomery model, Byrdland,

etc. are made from solid spruce. Why do you think they went with

laminate or plywood on the Switchmaster? What do you think of this model?

• Members

Originally posted by axelsam

I thought there might be a point to it. The idea was to get some more responses as there was only one response to my original post. Do you have any info on this subject?

Yes, but since you seem to think you are so important and deserve so much attention by starting two threads on this, I don't think I'll discuss it with you.

• Members

Hey Axelsam.

First of all, congrats on the getting a great guitar.

Secondly, someone is feeling out of sorts today. For your reference on protocol, if you want to get your thread back to the top of page one, you 'bump' it by replying yourself. People usually write 'bump' or something like that in the entry when they do this.

On to laminates; for acoustic tone and volume, carved solid tops are usually considered superior. 'Graduating' the top, a process of a thinning the top near the rim so it can vibrate more freely, is important to getting a good acoustic volume and tone. I don't think this is done with laminated tops. Also, undoubtedly, there is a difference in acoustic tone simply between solid maple and laminated maple.

When you go electric, the pickups in the top decrease the acoustic volume. The designer needs to choose if this will be primarily an acoustic or amplified instrument. If it is primarily amplified, issues like feedback resistance and amplified tone become paramount. Laminated tops may be superior in some regards. Laminated tops decrease the production cost and probably the purchase price.

I suggest you enjoy one of the great hollow body electrics. Congrats!

Perhaps you'll visit more frequently next year, eh?

Any possibility that you'll post some pics of your guitar?

• Members

I think most of the guys here have pretty much nailed it.

Because of feedback problems, Gibson intentionally used laminated woods in the guitars that were originally designed as electrics (the ES electric-spanish series) -- ES-335, ES-5, ES-175, ES-225, etc.

Most of the solid-wood electrics started as purely acoustic instruments -- Super 400, L-5, etc. -- designed with arched tops for more volume in large venue situations. Their solid-wood design was held onto as they moved into the electronic range, first was suspended pickups, then with surface mounted ones.

With the exception of some of these historic models listed, modern archtop builders often use laminates for guitars with pickups mounted to the top, and solid-wood tops for guitars that have floating pickups that don't hinder the tops natural vibrations and use as an acoustic instrument.

Epiphone went one further than Gibson, as they went electric, Epiphone would use solid-wood tops, sides and backs in their acoustic archtops and laminates in all the electric "Zephyr" versions of the same guitars.

Archived