You Can Have Only ONE Virtual Instrument. It would be...

Anderton

• Members

Originally posted by Kiwiburger

I've had a love/hate relationship with Yamaha FM synthesis since the '80's. Great for EP's and Bass and Bells.

And so much more!

NI FM7 is a software version of a DX7, and can run all the patches that were developed for these FM synths.

FM7 is far more than a soft DX7...if it were just that, I wouldn't love it as I do.

If you like DX7 stuff, the NI FM7 is fairly faithfull, except it comes with a delay that is used to beef up the sound.

And multiple waveshapes.

And free routing in the algo.

And dual resonant multimode filters.

And tempo-sync multi-breakpoint envelopes with looping.

And unisono with detune.

And so on...FM7 can emulate DX7 sound, but IMHO, it would be foolish to limit yourself to that.

If you can run PC VST, I much prefer Loftsoft FMHeaven. This I find to be more faithfull to the real thing - it has an edge that the FM7 misses out on.

Care to elaborate?

If you know and love the real thing, i'm sure you will love FMHeaven.

I love FM7 because a hybrid FM -> filters synthesis architecture is perhaps my favorite structure of all time...not because it sounds like "the real thing." In fact, thank goodness it goes way beyond that!

cheers,

Ian

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

FM7 really is the cats pants. And nowadays it's not just being used in dance tracks, but also top 40 tunes, which is an interesting niggle, that of FM synthesis going mainstream(this aside from any debate of pros and cons of top 40 music).

While I wouldn't want FM7 to be my only software instrument, I do think, within its basically gorgeous FM tonal character there are practically unlimited ranges of minute variations and textures which can be achieved, and you can go berserk sculpting the sound of your patches. FM7 makes this quite easy. I'm not the most savy FM programmer, I mean I have a few books I've read that goes into the whole concept of cariers and modulors, and how ratios and algorithms play into that, but FM7 is really intuitive to such an extent that you can get a lot of mileage without thinking too hard. Just, you know, adjust the volumes of operators, tweak around the FM Matrix, adjust envelopes, and easy edit.
I'd still need a sampler with that.

• Members
care to elaborate?

Well - if the FM7 is going mainstream, perhaps I want to keep this Loftsoft FM Heaven all to myself ;)

FM Heaven is, from memory, PC VST only. It's just a simple .dll installation (sent by email when you register), no codes or security headaches. It doesn't have all the hype that surrounds NI products.

It was a few years ago now since my last TX7 module went bellyup - but from my recollections of the original - the FM7 is close but no cigar. The FM Heaven was like, wow - i've got my modules back, less the noise.

Maybe it was simply the patches - I didn't buy FM7 and therefore couldn't load the original DX7 patches. But i've heard similar comments from other users, that FM7 is a bit 'soft'.

Agreed - there is much more to these than the DX7 sounds. The inclusion of filters makes it possible to take on the subtractive synths as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Rabid

Which instrument in Reason?

Well actually all of them. They can't be used seperately so I look at them as one big groovy instrument.

Redrum, Subtractor and NNXT are my favorites in that order I guess.

• Members

Either:

D'Cota
PPG Wave 2.v
or
Wavestation (from Korg Virtual collection)

Any one of those and I can create anything I
might need to create.

I could use the LM IV for drums or sample triggering but for straight drumming maybe the Groove Agent.

But if I think about it really: Garage Band has some killer pad instruments and groovy loops.

I could do everything in GB and not need anything else.

Archived