OT: Opinions on Big Screen TVs?

Anderton

• Members

The thing that people seem to like about their RP LCD TV's (like the Grand WEGA) is the picture brightness. People make many different evaluations of picture quality. People who sell them often have, or come to have, a different evaluation than the people who buy them. Objectively, televisions have difficulty with black. DLP's have a really good black. Television geeks usually gravitate toward a decision based on the deficiency. Casual users tend to go for a choice that reveals something that they have not seen before.

I have a degree of red-green colorblindness, and I can see RBE with no problem.

Do you also have migraines or visual migraines? Are you a drummer? It actually is pretty rare for people to notice it on the newer sets.

• Members

People who sell 'em will no doubt factor commissions into their "professional opinions" :D Personally I did prefer the image of the Scenium DLP to the set I bought, but there was an $800 difference in price and I didn't think the small difference in image quality between it and the Sony justified the hefty $$$ difference. The Samsung also had a good picture but there was a lot of glare on its surface, and on that set I had no trouble whatsoever seeing RBE. So since my wife liked the Sony best, we went with it! I tweaked the 'pro' picture mode so it looks great, and my wife can have 'vivid' when she wants it.

BTW, yes I'm a drummer (or was). NO I don't get headaches at all, let alone migraines.

Originally posted by spokenward

The thing that people seem to like about their RP LCD TV's (like the Grand WEGA) is the picture brightness. People make many different evaluations of picture quality. People who sell them often have, or come to have, a different evaluation than the people who buy them. Objectively, televisions have difficulty with black. DLP's have a really good black. Television geeks usually gravitate toward a decision based on the deficiency. Casual users tend to go for a choice that reveals something that they have not seen before.

Do you also have migraines or visual migraines? Are you a drummer? It actually is pretty rare for people to notice it on the newer sets.

• Members

Originally posted by gearmike

I HATE the RBE. I see when ever I turn my head when I'm in a room with a DLP.

The next generation multi-chip DLP's coming this fall are supposed to have very little RBE.

As long as there's a color wheel, there will be RBE. Some people are just sensitive to it.

• Members

Originally posted by coyote-1

Aww c'mon man.... I have a degree of red-green colorblindness, and I can see RBE with no problem.

The difference between a rear-projector dimming over time and a plasma doing likewise is that a new $200 bulb makes the projector good as new, while the plasma requires replacing the entire unit. BTW, everyone who's ever looked at my RP-LCD Wega has commented on the amazing picture - even folks who have plasma. Why do I get the feeling you're an owner of a DLP set? lol

I install about 100 DLP based displays and 50 or so plasmas a year, plus assorted LCD displays and CRTs, and I seriously doubt any of your buds know what a good display is. BTW, brightness isn't a way to judge a good one.

• Members

i've had my samsung plasma for 2 years now and it is still wonderful. everyone who sees it comments on how stunning the picture is. i think the dlps do looks quite good tho.

projectors suck because they have a fairly loud fan to cool the bulb. doesnt' make for the best watching environment.

it's all great in HD tho. i think that's the key. i have all the HD channels my cable service provides and they are a joy to watch.

• Members

Originally posted by mattzen

i've had my samsung plasma for 2 years now and it is still wonderful. everyone who sees it comments on how stunning the picture is. i think the dlps do looks quite good tho.

projectors suck because they have a fairly loud fan to cool the bulb. doesnt' make for the best watching environment.

it's all great in HD tho. i think that's the key. i have all the HD channels my cable service provides and they are a joy to watch.

Fan noise isn't a problem on all projectors...some are louder than others. My Panny has 2 fan speeds and I can't hear it at all when it's on low. It's shelf-mounted behind the viewing position though; if it were ceiling mounted you'd probably notice it more. So far, it only goes into high fan speed when you shut it down and it goes into "bulb cooling" mode. The high speed would be quite distracting during quiet movie passages...

Speaking of HD, I've gotta mention one thing: I, too, have all my cable company's HD programming (all ~10 channels! :rolleyes: ) and the thing that pisses me off the most is that, after becoming accustomed to HD on the big screen, all the analog cable channels look like crap! Even the regular def digital channels look not-so-great but the analog channels are almost unwatchable. Of course, on our system, channels 2 - 99 are analog and most of the big boys are in that range. Bummer.

But those HD channels make up for it in a BIG way! :D

• Members

Agreed. BUT......

Originally posted by Duck King

BTW, brightness isn't a way to judge a good one.

Minor colorblindness aside, my eyesight is perfect.

Not everyone is so blessed! Look around you at all the glasses perched on noses, and then consider that perhaps that many again are wearing contacts. And as we get older, our ability to capture/process light fades, and the world grows dimmer to us.

Consequently, dealers put their floor samples (particularly the ones that yield the highest commissions) in "torch mode". I did my research prior to purchase so I was aware of it, but apparently not everyone knows about it. Anyway, you can see where this is going.... Most folks perceive brighter as better, and for folks with diminished eyesight it truly can make a difference.

• Members

Originally posted by jabney

Why? What's worth watching...

Ha hah!! I been wondering how I can slip in some spam for my new website. Now I can be double on topic. :p

I've created a web site that lets you get e-mail alerts whenever your favorite celebrity, musician or movie is on. No need to search the listings anymore. Check out TVHound

Want to know when your favorite musician will be on TV next? Let the Hound Track it Down.

I just went live on Monday.

I've been checking out the DLPs and been wishing my current set would die.

Marc

Archived