Detuning + Heavy Strings + set neck= neck damage?

-DOOM-

• Members

Hey Hey -

1st and foremost - I do not play numetal.......

Now that thats out of the way, I really need some expert opinions from those that have experience with the following....

I play in a doom band and tune to A-A...I do not use or feel I need a baritione and do very well with just a standard six string with a heavy string guage (13-70). At present I use a bolt on neck Ibanez, which is perfect with a good setup.

My question is: If I get an SG (ie set neck), will I end up with neck problems (ie cracking at the joint etc) due to the greatly increased string tension? Some seem to think yes, whilst others disagree....

Essentially, this will be my first set neck style purchase and I need to know that it can cope. Further, I play rhythm only, though am fairly heavy handed in my playing style...

Cheers.....:thu: :thu:

• Members

I think it would be about the overall tension. For instance, if you're downtuning, you're loosening the tension. But using thicker strings increases the tension, which in theory would appromixate the tension of using regular strings and a regular tuning. So, I don't think it would hurt your neck.

• Members

I need to hear your band, gimme a link there brutha -- I am a HUGE doom fan! In fact, I am joining a true doom style band playing bass!

Now thats out of the way -- I don't tune as low as you, I do drop C and use 10s on my Epi LP Custom and have zero issues. You will not cause neck problems doing what you want. Veil is exactly right in his assesment.

And I agree, I bought a baritone to get me that low and just never play it.

We should start an HC Stoner Rock and Doom group. You in?

• Members
Originally posted by curseoftruth

I need to hear your band, gimme a link there brutha -- I am a HUGE doom fan! In fact, I am joining a true doom style band playing bass!

Now thats out of the way -- I don't tune as low as you, I do drop C and use 10s on my Epi LP Custom and have zero issues. You will not cause neck problems doing what you want. Veil is exactly right in his assesment.

{censored}, you have a celloblaster? Talk to me. :love:

• Members

Originally posted by curseoftruth

Hey C- No recordings at this point mate...We have still to suss out all the recording to pc stuff!!!

I'd be all in the stoner/doom kit but there's one little problem - I'm in Australia mate hehehehe:thu:

Thanks for the info guys - keep it comming:wave:

• Members

if the neck is straight and doesn't look like you could use it for a bow and arrow, then string size is irrelevent.

leo kottke uses baritone strings (super heavy guage), and down tunes, on his acoustics and it works for him. and electrics can handle more string tension than acoustics

• Members
Originally posted by veil

{censored}, you have a celloblaster? Talk to me.
:love:

I do! Its the second generation Diamond series A-5X, last year they made them. 5 strings, tuned in fifths and sounds wonderful clean. The blades don't much for me personally dirty. The band I am joining (more than likely), the guitar player has a red one, so we may try something cool with them. I've had it for about 4 years and it hasn't gotten much action, mainly sits. I've toyed with selling it. Here are a couple of bad pix:

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

Archived