What happened to musicianship?

mr.rob

• Members

I agree with that Craig

I also think the way the marketing structure changed over time (dumbed down music makes mo' money) made each generation coming up into slot machine feeders...know what I mean? If your goal when you sit down to learn an instrument and/or make music is to emulate the highest selling billboard artist...well, creativity suffers and over time the ability to even recognize what is good in music starts to get lost

The recording 'industry' is still very young...while there were tons of problems with the mob controlled music performance industry of the past, at least it didn't have such a wide effect on the validity of the music itself, audiences hanging out with musicians all night still set the bar

no? my 2 cents

• Members

I asked this question because I had been listening to Axis Bold as Love by Hendrix. I remember seeing an interview with him where he critisized certain of the british blues/rock guitar players for not using very many chords.

And on Axis I think Hendrix's rhythm guitar playing above all else is phenomenal. The soloing is less indulgant than on Are you Experienced? or Electric Ladyland.

And I started to think about how unfashionable lead guitar playing became in the 1990's. In fact, a lot of guitar players picked up on the lead lines of their favorite guitarists, but it seems like almost ALL of them completely missed the subtlety of Hendrixes rhythm chops, and also his superb vocabulary of chord voicings.

To me, picking out what the harmony and melody implies, and livening up the rhythmic possibilities of that...is..not present on the radio in rock, or hiphop...

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Actually, sometimes I think musicianship does get in the way. We've all seen technically proficient people who feel they have to squeeze as much technique into every measure as possible.

Then there are guitarists like Jeff Beck, who can play the hell out of a guitar, but truly show off their mastery when they play simple lines that absolutely drip with emotion. You could have a lot less technique than Jeff Beck and still be able to play the lines he plays -- if you had the finesse and tone.

Yup! Playing with someone who has to squeeze 12 more 32nd notes into each bar is like talking to somebody who won't stop yelling - - after a while, the best thing to do is walk away and let them finish wanking....

I'm not just talking about Ygwee Malmsteen wannabees, either. It also applies to Maria Carey, Whitney Houston, and all their current clones.

But that's not musicianship, that's just over-fed technique coupled with a lack of taste, discernment and restraint.... IMHO

:)

Archived