Different tube overdrive pedals thread,

GorgeBarri

• Members

Fellows,

There seem to be many options in tube overdrive pedals at around $2OO, but, what are the differences?

I own a Budda Phatman, it is a nice pedal, perhaps with too many mids, but a nice pedal. It performs great at mid gain settings, but gets unfocused and unclear at higher gain settings, and the lack of mid control is certainly a setback.

In the afternoon I will try the MesaBoogie Bottle Rocket. I don

• Members

Probably not helping you one bit, but i just wanted to say that i love the tone of the EHX Hot Tubes !

Hot-Tubes-small.jpg

. . . and on this unit, the tubes are nopt just there for colourration like most other (thinking of the Vox Cooltrons among others), but actually use the FULL plate voltage to drive the amp !!!

Serious Sexy Sounds !!!

:evil:

• Members

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz

(...). . . and on this unit, the tubes are nopt just there for colourration like most other (thinking of the Vox Cooltrons among others), but actually use the FULL plate voltage to drive the amp !!!

You

• Members

Probably not helping you....

As a standalone overdrive/distortion unit, I like the Tonebone Classic the most.

However, for boosting an amp, and providing a nice gain growl that responds like a tube amp does, I really like the Tubeworks BlueTube, and the ZVex Box of Rock.:)

• Members

You would pic three that I don't have experience with. Either way, they all will probably be quite diiferent from each other...

Just to add to the confusion: here are some more

Maxon ROD 880 & 881
Ibanez Tube King
Vox Cootron Bulldog
Tonebone Hot British
Tonebone Plexitube
Tonebone Classic
Tonebone Tri-Mode
Nady TD-1

All of these are very good at what they do, but each are voice differently.

Also some others:
H&K Tube Factor
The Tubester
Tubeworks Real Tube
AMT Fatal Tube
Rocktron Silver Dragon (this one I know is not so good)

• Members

I have two, the Budda Phatman and the Tonebone Classic. The Phatman is a good pedal, but I use it more in conjunction with other pedals and with low gain tubes. Gives harsh-sounding pedals a more tube-like quality.

The Classic is brilliant, I'm currently using it in front of my Valve King, and the distortion is rich and organic. Great pedal, very versatile.

• Members

for ~$200 street there's also the seymour duncan sfx-03

it uses nos miniature 6021's and the design ensures the tubes actually play a major part in the signal path and overall sound

I tend to think there are tons of pedals out there that include tubes as more marketing hype than functional returns, but I don't count the sfx-03 among them as I think it responds well and sounds better than most OD pedals to my ears

• Members
Originally posted by GorgeBarri

I have a huge craving for that pedal,
:cry:

I played it yesterday with a Suhr strat, into a Carr Rambler.... it sounded better than most marshalls I've played :D

I was seriously impressed with it. That pedal interacts like an amp, not like an effects pedal. Its very nice. I ended up buying a compressor because I had more pressing needs for one.... but next time I have money, I am going back for that pedal.

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

I played it yesterday with a Suhr strat, into a Carr Rambler.... it sounded better than most marshalls I've played
:D

I was seriously impressed with it. That pedal interacts like an amp, not like an effects pedal. Its very nice. I ended up buying a compressor because I had more pressing needs for one.... but next time I have money, I am going back for that pedal.

now you're just being mean! :eek:

patagonia-map.gif

it sucks to be here :cry:

• Members

now you're just being mean!
:eek:

patagonia-map.gif

it sucks to be here

sorry:(

But seriously, its worth getting, great pedal......and because its a Z Vex, if you end up not liking it, the resale will still be pretty good.

Its probably not so bad living where you are..... how would you like 6 months of winter, and 3 of those months it goes to -40-50 celcius:freak: :p

• Members
Originally posted by Alchemist

(...)Its probably not so bad living where you are..... how would you like 6 months of winter, and 3 of those months it goes to -40-50 celcius:freak:
:p

naw, it isn't like that,
but in the middle of winter we have about 5 hours of daylight, and in sumer we have around 5 hours of night,

it's all messed up :cry:

now back on topic! :mad:

• Members

naw, it isn't like that,

but in the middle of winter we have about 5 hours of daylight, and in sumer we have around 5 hours of night,

it's all messed up

now back on topic!
:mad:

Get the BOX OF ROCK:p :D .... if you like a dark throaty marshall plexi sound:)

Archived