Dave Matthews Band latest album..

nursers

• Members

.. is called Stand Up.

Anyone had a listen?

I haven't been that keen on their last couple of albums, but love Crash. The latest album is pretty damn close to Crash IMO. Really good stuff ;)

Of course - the musicianship makes me want to just throw in the towel....

• Members

I like it. What amazes me about the DMB is how much the different producers can change the band's sound; they appear to be a very "moldable" group.

I wish our band covered more DMB songs, as I play both sax and fiddle, but the bass player and drummer keep getting scared off... ;)

• Members

It took me a few listens to get into it. I was hoping for a more traditional album from them. Something like their first couple albums. But after I got over that, I started to like it. It's a lot different, and very simplistic, which is different for them especially.

A few things I don't like are, Carter is sampled, SAMPLED! How can you do that to such an amazing drummer. Also Boyd and Leroy are hardly in there at all. I hope at some point they go back to their roots, but I'm starting to think that part of them is over.

• Members

I think this last album is pretty good. Went and saw them when they were in town last month and I liked their live version of Stand Up way better than the studio version. It really rocked on stage. I was fortunate to get VIP backstage tickets (one of the sound designers here worked with Dave's keybaord player Butch in a VA studio) and we got to hang with Dave and the band before the gig. They are really cool guys.

I'm hoping too that they return to the sound off their early albums. The DVD part of their album is cool as it shows them in the studio recording Stand Up.

Chris

• Members

I'm a relative newbie to DMB, first turned on to them by my parter-in-crime in the acoustic group (we cover a slew of Dave songs acoustically). I enjoy their studio albums but, like many other bands, I think their main strength is in live performance.

I've heard all their releases and only seen them once - the Central Park concert in NYC in 2003. Unbelievable show. Made me a convert right then and there. Nothing I've heard from them via the studio even came close to that show and other live shows I've heard since. But, then again, being about 20' from the stage might have helped...

...and I wasn't even in a state of 'altered reality' at the time. Whoda Thunk It?

I am looking forward to hearing how they cover their new material live.

peace,

Tim from Jersey

• Members

Been living with Stand Up for at least a month and a half now. Amazed at the amount of information crammed into each track, and all of it is audible. Very, very reminiscent of a Steve Lillywhite production except that this guy wasn't quite as discriminate as Lillywhite would have been regarding what to include. This does not necessarily diminish the material.

I wasn't so scandalized by Mr Carter's drum loops-- probably one more technique that they wanted in their studio arsenal.

They are much, much better live than they are in the studio-- the only thinkg I hate about DMB live is the audience, who tend to believe they can carry on any old way they want to and {censored} anybody else that may be around. It seriously gets in the way.

• Members

Originally posted by Mr. Botch

I like it. What amazes me about the DMB is how much the different producers can change the band's sound; they appear to be a very "moldable" group.

I wish our band covered more DMB songs, as I play both sax and fiddle, but the bass player and drummer keep getting scared off...
;)

Who'd blame em - when I heard 'Drive In Drive Out' from 'Crash' the first time, I remember thinking - just about any drummer would want to cry hearing the stuff done on that track. ;)

American baby has a hint of that too when the drums and sax jam a little...

Archived