Snap , Crackle Pop , new laptop , sound suxs

XXX

• Members

bought a new toshiba , cannot get it to not have pops and hisses and crackles in the sound no matter what I do .

I want to use my Guitarport , which works great on my desktop and before you say the desktop has more power , this is an old desktop , the laptop is double the power .

I bought a Fast Track USB from MAudio last night , same thing , horrible noises if it worked at all .

I read on a forum somewhere where a guy with a Toshiba laptop had these problems and his fix was to change the properties of the laptop to "standard pc" . Well after doing that and reinstalling all the drivers needed , same crap .

Only thing I havent tried and I am going to do that tonight is a

SB 24/96 pcmcia card , I know Soundblaster suxs but its 100 buxs and thats for to see if a non USB soundcard makes the diff .

anyone else gone through this?

• Members

Are you using ASIO? Then it's a good idea to enable Background Services, as that way the computer gives priority to ASIO instead of, say, servicing the printer or whatever.

Also check out the various sites on optimizing XP for audio. There's another thread here that includes the links...try http://www.musicxp.net for starters.

I'm sure it's nothing that can't be resolved with some tweak or check box change somewhere.

• Members

Originally posted by Anderton

Are you using ASIO? Then it's a good idea to enable Background Services, as that way the computer gives priority to ASIO instead of, say, servicing the printer or whatever.

Also check out the various sites on optimizing XP for audio. There's another thread here that includes the links...try
http://www.musicxp.net
for starters.

I'm sure it's nothing that can't be resolved with some tweak or check box change somewhere.

cool , I solved it temporaraly by returning the laptop . :D

I ordered a laptop with the AMD 64 bit processor , will come in a week . :D

btw , yes I used the ASIO drivers .

• Members

You have anyway to perform some essential tweaks to XP, otherwise any PC will suck forever....the background services optimization is the first one.

Another essential thing is to avoid graphics with shared memory but find instead PC's with an audiocard with dedicated memory, at least 64Mb, if not 128.

Then be careful to put your USB audio device in an USB input that doesn't share it's internal controller with the USB input where the mouse is or some other device working while you make music.

Archived