Why no small, 6L6 tube combos?

AtomHeartMother

• Members

Why are there no small, low wattage 6L6 combos? In recent years that is. There are tons and tons of EL84 combos in the 20 watts and under range, but the only 6L6 combo I've ever seen is the Epiphone Galaxie 10, which was discontinued maybe a year ago. I'm sure that there are some boutique and vintage small, low-wattage combos with 6L6's, but there don't seem to be any production models. You'd think that Fender would be all over that.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any small amps with EL34's either?

What's the deal? Are EL84's what's in vogue now?

• Members

easy. why would you use 6L6's when a smaller tube will get the job done? you'd have to run the plate voltage low and out of the tube's spec for guitar amps to get small wattage out of two 6L6's. that and there aren't very many good 1x6L6 single-ended designs. it may not even be tonally desirable. why not just get a Univalve?

• Members

Why? EL84's and 6V6GT's are half the output of a 6L6GC or EL34; it is easier to build a low-wattage amp around them because they are already 1/2 way there, especially if you want real low wattage, like 4 watts.

Fender traditionally built their smaller amps around the 6V6GT for this reason...Champ, Princeton, Deluxe. When quality 6V6's were scarce (at one time none were made, then the crappy Sovtek was the only one for nearly a decade), they migrated over to the EL84.

You could use a single 6L6GC or EL34 in single-ended operation for a 10-15 watts of output, and many boutique builders do, as well as the Univalve. But most builders just seem to favor the push-pull models with 2xEL84 or 2x6V6GT.

• Members

the best thing I ever did was buy a 70's silver face Princeton Reverb and put a 12" Weber in it.

It screams!!! Puts out as much volume as any Deluxe I've ever heard.

I have yet to find a (production) amp that sounds as nice.

Archived