Fender Pro Jr vs. Champ (silverface)

Karma1

• Members

I'm looking at small lightweight portable tube amps and have been considering a Pro Jr. However I was at the Calif Guitar show yesterday and saw a number of 1970's Champs and Vibro Champs in the $250- $350 range. I'm still leaning towards the Pro Jr. but wondering how they compare. I'm more interested in the clean tones at moderate volume, rather than how they break up at higher volume. Any thoughts?

• Members

Well I 've never played though a Pro Jr. But I have a 76 sf champ and I love it. The cleans are the best i've heard, it is a small class A amp that is great at low to moderate volume, but I dunno about giging with a champ.

Honestly my strat sounds better though that champ than any other amp i've ever played though.:thu:

• Members

Well I 've never played though a Pro Jr. But I have a 76 sf champ and I love it. The cleans are the best i've heard, it is a small class A amp that is great at low to moderate volume, but I dunno about giging with a champ.

Honestly my strat sounds better though that champ than any other amp i've ever played though.
:thu:

I have eight sf Champs, and love them all!

I often gig with a pair of them. They are surprisingly loud with efficient speakers in them, and mic'ing them to the PA is a snap.

Here are Harrison and Clapton with a 4-pack of Champs at Concert for Bangla Desh.

harrison_clapton_champs11.jpg

• Members

I think the Champ is the better sounding amp by far (and I like Pro Jr.'s), but I won't pay $250+ for a SF Champ. I can still find them for $100-200 from time to time in brick and mortar stores. The Vibrochamp does usually command a $250-325 price though.

• Members

Thanks to all for the replies. Looks like there's a lot of Champ fans here.

It isn't that Champs don't have possible issues. Being 25-50 years old, they are likely to require a recapping and a speaker upgrade. I have been very happy with Ted Weber's speakers in mine, and gig with the ribbed ceramic 8" speakers with excellent results. Champs are very easy to work on, *IF* you are comfortable with basic electronics and know the rules of safety. (They are also easy for your tech to work on.) A freshly recapped Champ with good tubes and a decent speaker is an epiphany! It's no wonder these have been and are used in the studio as a standard. Although clean specimens have risen into the $250-300 range, consider that a similar modern US-made, hand soldered point-to-point guitar combo may run almost $1000 (the Victoria 518 is now $995 http://www.victoriaamp.com/models.htm.)

• Members

I'm looking at small lightweight portable tube amps and have been considering a Pro Jr. However I was at the Calif Guitar show yesterday and saw a number of 1970's Champs and Vibro Champs in the $250- $350 range. I'm still leaning towards the Pro Jr. but wondering how they compare. I'm more interested in the clean tones at moderate volume, rather than how they break up at higher volume. Any thoughts?

As everyone else has said..the Champ and or Vibro champ are "Gems". That said, I think the Pro Jr. will fit your needs better. You will have no problem getting cleans at moderate volumes with the Pro. The Champ might not do it for you. Especially if you have higher output "pups".

• Members

they're made of pressboard and have dinky 8" speakers; they aren't worth more than a couple hundred $$ IMO

They all aren't made from pressboard. I don't recall the year they started making them that way though. My guess would be about 76' onward.

What are the Pro' Jr. cabs made out of these days?

• Members

Since I got my SF Champ, I have never plugged into anything else since! SICK. I wish I could pick up a nice Princeton to go with it, but I am broke right now.

You might be able to find a nice Princeton for 350-400 or so, if you need a bit more headroom.

• Members

I think its like deciding if you want a 60's or a new Mustang. Advantages and disadvantages to both. Two totally different types of investment, imo, as I think jerry_picker was saying. That said, I'm really happy with my Pro Jr as a practice/jamming amp.

Archived